Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with Flannel >

Quilting with Flannel

Quilting with Flannel

Old 03-21-2012, 02:25 PM

I'm currently quilting a lap size quilt w/ a flannel back. I did prewash the flannel because I didn't want to take the chance that the flannel backing would shrink differently than the cotton front. I will wash the entire quilt before giving it to the receiver. I like the wrinkled look.

I do whole-heartedly agree w/ the quality of joann's fabrics these days. There is no comparison to the feel of the flannel at joann's and the feel of the flannel at the quilt store!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:53 PM

I insist on Moda flannel. They have the best quality that I have found.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Connecting Threads has very good flannel in pretty prints.
So does Pine Tree Quilts in Portland, OR
Old 03-21-2012, 07:05 PM

I have made some very nice rag quilts for charity using Kaufman's Urban Bloom flannel. Love it. Also love flannel from Moda and Benartex.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 PM

I bought 10 cuts of flannel at Jo-Ann's Black Friday sale, and every one of them turned out thick and fluffy and lovely after washing. In fact I may divert a couple from quilts to "evening gowns" for me! I did make sure in choosing to avoid the cheesecloth-like ones; I had checked online before I went to the sale, and was glad I chose to pet before purchasing, as some of the prints I liked online were in the store, but were such poor quality I skipped them. While browsing at LQS recently I checked out the flannels, and none enticed me to buy, they were all pretty flimsy. So just be sure to pet the goods, wherever you look.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:30 AM

I have made 3 rag quilts,mostly with material I have found in thrift store. I have also bought the thicker flannels sheets from the stores. I havwe prewashed all of the flannels pieces I havve used in the quilts and still have great fluffing when I have washed them twice after finishing. I have bought flannels from Hobby Lobby only once and it was a demin looking one. I had no problems with it.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by suzanprincess View Post
I bought 10 cuts of flannel at Jo-Ann's Black Friday sale, and every one of them turned out thick and fluffy and lovely after washing. In fact I may divert a couple from quilts to "evening gowns" for me! I did make sure in choosing to avoid the cheesecloth-like ones; I had checked online before I went to the sale, and was glad I chose to pet before purchasing, as some of the prints I liked online were in the store, but were such poor quality I skipped them. While browsing at LQS recently I checked out the flannels, and none enticed me to buy, they were all pretty flimsy. So just be sure to pet the goods, wherever you look.
I'll bet that the better ones you found at Joann's were last year's stock. That's no problem if you like the prints. Unfortunately you really have to search for them as most of the stock has turned over to the cheesecloth junk.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:27 AM

I find that I can get good quality flannel at Joanne's and they have a great seletion. I do always wash as flannel tends to shrink. I am not a huge fan of Joanne's, but do buy my flannel there and I use quite a bit of it.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:01 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

glad this thread was started, lots of great information ... thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 06:06 AM

I used flannel for a back on a baby quilt and then quilted on my longarm using rulers for some of the design. I found that the ruler with the ruler base caused quite a change in the tension and was somewhat difficult. I would try a sample first before quilting if you are using rulers and base.
I always prewash all fabrics and put them in the dryer. If the entire quilt (top and backing) is a similar flannel, you may not have a problem if you do not prewash.