Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with Flannel >

Quilting with Flannel

Quilting with Flannel

Old 03-25-2012, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Amythyst02 View Post
I did this flannel rag quilt in Dec for my granddaughter and I bought the flannel at Hobby Lobby. I am going to attempt to attach a picture of it. So lets see how this goes.[ATTACH=CONFIG]321462[/ATTACH]Well I am impressed, first picture to post and I actually got it to work. Its kinda big but at least you can see it.
What a pretty quilt! I love those colors.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by waddles39 View Post
I have done four rag quilts this winter and used Joann's flannel for all of them and didn't have a problem with any of them. Not after washing and dryer. I wonder why the differences? All Joann's have to get there flannel from the same supplier right?
Pretty much. Most of the cotton flannel I have come across for the last, oh, 20-30 years was from China and more recently India & Pakistan. I rarely see cotton flannel (or most any other type of fabric) actually manufactured in the US-or even any first world country-nowadays. I have seen good quality fabrics and already made garments from China. But the quality is rapidly going down as the consumer is always demanding lower & lower prices for these goods.

Originally Posted by roserips View Post
I have been sewing and quilting for over 40 years and the quality of fabrics has really changed during that time. Flannel has always shrunk more than regular cotton, it also makes a bulkier seam so heavey piecing is not recommended. I prefer to use my flannel on the back of my quilts since it is so nice and snuggley. Yes for rag quilts never pre wash your flannel since part of the look comes from the shrinking as well as the fraying of the fabric. Try experiment since doing is the best teaching available. I love to incorporate different textures in my quilts using not only cottons but corduroy, silk, homespun, polar fleece, so touch and feel are important to me. The only way I know to learn this is by doing some things will work and others not so good gut remember if you are combining fabric weights interfacing can be your best friend.
I see that I am not the only one noticing the changes in fabric quality. I always make a point to pre-wash my fabrics (especially cotton flannels and denims) as it provides an additional check of quality. I check for colorfastness and piling rates. If I find that the fabric "fails" at quality, I would opt to use it as a batting filler instead. But with careful use and washing, I generally don't run into these problems as much as I expected I would.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:16 PM

Yes, it will 'wierd up'. Wash and dry flannel twice before piecing or using for backing. That way it won't shrink and distort the quilt. I bought a darling little girls quilt at a thrift store for $2 - I'm sure it was there because the flannel backing shrunk so much and distorted the quilt. Ironing brought it back in shape, but who wants to iron a quilt every time it's washed? It was in very good condition, so I don't think it was loved too much.