Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Frame Accessory Help Please >

Quilting Frame Accessory Help Please

Quilting Frame Accessory Help Please

Old 04-21-2023, 10:24 AM

Default Quilting Frame Accessory Help Please

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the "Red Snapper Set" will work with "canvas type leader fabric" I made and put on my frame a few years ago? The canvas isn't too thick it's about a light-medium weight I guess. I'm really not wanting to make another set of leaders since I installed very long zippers on them a few years ago. My hands are getting to where I cannot always pin on a quilt to my leaders with my Disability. So I'm wanting to try the RS Set on my 10ft Frame and wondering if I really need to make different type fabric leaders. I'm not wanting to invest in a purchased leader set if I can use what I already have.

Thanks for helping!

Old 04-21-2023, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

I have canvas leaders and I use Red Snappers. You do need a sleeve in the canvas for the rod to go through.

Be aware that loading a quilt with the Red Snappers does require some hand strength.
Old 04-21-2023, 02:37 PM

Thanks….. I’ve heard others say they too can be hard on the hands getting them clipped in. I found a video where it talks of sewing in a pocket on the leaders for the RS rods to go in. Can’t recall the measurements at the moment for this. But I would imagine the pocket depth would be the same amount for any leader fabric used.
Old 04-21-2023, 03:56 PM

some people use magnets but I don't know how they work.
Old 04-21-2023, 04:31 PM

SewingPup…

That would be a great idea since my frame poles are steel. But the only downside for me would be an issue I had a few months ago. Sharing too in case others have had this happen to them… About 2 months ago I had magnets completely obliterate an older USB Flash Drive of mine containing Family Photos including my dad’s memorial service from 2009. 😳😭 Couldn’t use the drive anymore or get anything off of it after that. The magnets were on of all things… The Kimberbell Clear Blue Tiles set container I ordered and apparently I exposed that older USB Drive to the box in my sewing room! - Be careful if you ever put magnets in a sewing room people if you have these older USB devices laying around. I’ve heard magnets can corrupt older computer sewing machines too BUT I’m not sure if it’s true.
Old 04-22-2023, 05:24 AM

If you decide to use the red snapper system and you find it difficult to snap the red piece onto your quilt backing when attaching, try getting a piece of dowelling a slightly bigger diameter than the rod part of the snapper and let the red snap part sit on it for a few days - I have a different system and one of my brackets was too tight for me to attach easily. Using the slightly larger (thicker) dowel meant to relaxed/stretched the bracket piece slightly allowing me to be able to use it more easily.
Old 04-22-2023, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by ElaineCovid View Post
If you decide to use the red snapper system and you find it difficult to snap the red piece onto your quilt backing when attaching, try getting a piece of dowelling a slightly bigger diameter than the rod part of the snapper and let the red snap part sit on it for a few days - I have a different system and one of my brackets was too tight for me to attach easily. Using the slightly larger (thicker) dowel meant to relaxed/stretched the bracket piece slightly allowing me to be able to use it more easily.
Oh my goodness such a wonderful tip! Thank you so much for sharing this. I learn so many wonderful things from all of you. Sometimes we must find ways around our health curves to be able to fully enjoy our quilting as in other things in life with any disability. I’m going to certainly try this one!
Old 04-23-2023, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by WolfTribe63 View Post
Oh my goodness such a wonderful tip! Thank you so much for sharing this. I learn so many wonderful things from all of you. Sometimes we must find ways around our health curves to be able to fully enjoy our quilting as in other things in life with any disability. I’m going to certainly try this one!
Glad I could help!