Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Frames... >

Quilting Frames...

Quilting Frames...

Old 12-28-2010, 05:01 PM

I don't personally quilt by hand. I don't enjoy it one bit. I appreciate those that do but it is not for me. Maybe someone else has experience with it...
Old 12-28-2010, 06:01 PM

When lap quilting with a large hoop one has to baste the quilt first; then just start quilting from the center out being sure you keep material smooth and taunt underneath, as well as on top. Keeps one warm in the winter (no summer quilting).
Old 12-28-2010, 11:39 PM

I enjoy quilting by hand. That's the way my grandma taught me. It's relaxing. I just turn on a good movie ,push my desk chair behind my pvc quilt frame,and quilt while I watch the movie.I've done from baby quilts to king size quilts this way.It's not hard at all.I don't have the room for a big quilter,but I wouldn't want one. I'll just keep on doing it the way I was taught.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:06 AM

I recently bought a Hinterberg Easy Build Plus quilting frame kit (hand quilting). We got it all together, but being a newbie at quilting I am not sure about the 3 aprons on it. The back pole apron is 24 inches, the middle pole apron is 15 inches and the front pole apron is 5 inches. The question I have is: Where do you pin the quilt on these pieces?? Do you pin it right under the bar or in the middle of the apron or on the very end at the edge? It seems to me that it would make a big difference as to how your quilt ends will meet when you are finished. This sounds stupid I know but don't want to do it wrong. The company representative couldn't tell me as he didn't know.If anyone knows about this please let me know. Thank you SO much... :)
Old 01-05-2011, 07:09 AM

I have done a little quilting with hoops and found it was alright. As someone said before you situate yourself ina comfortable place and begin. You find it is warm in the winter and sometimes easier to reach across the fabric having it in a lap hoop.