Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: quilting for free ( when they want to pay)

You could offer to let them pay for the materials and the quilting is a gift...

I have a friend who is a lot like that....she says talent should be rewarded and encouraged. Remind them that being a beginner that the amount you charge is small but as you get better the prices will rise. And say Thank you to people who believe in you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Don't let quilting become a power struggle....."no, I can out give YOU"!.....allow this couple their blessing.

Obviously their heart intent is to bless you, and for the giving they are blessed in return.

Graciously accept whatever they offer and, without explanation, put it toward a class, as suggested by Karen, to improve your skills so you might be in position to earn further monies for skill. They will consider it seed planed in good soil. :-)

Jan in VA
    I'm with Jan, take the blessing and pass it on in learning and experience when you have the chance.

Have they told you what size quilt they want? Have they looked at designs and fabrics? You may ask them if they have any clothing and or mementos they would like in it to defray costs. (You can find many tutorials here to help with how to cut the blocks out of clothing) Let them pay for the batting, thread, backing, and whatever they want added to it. Let them be blessed with your joy in more experience and you be blessed with the confidence they show in you! They must think a lot of you and have a wish to be in on your experiences as you learn. Mistakes are just the hugs to go with your love in the making of the quilt, my dear friend Amma told me. Enjoy the process and don't agonize (sp.)

Hugs,
    Sharon

If you really want to do it for free then explain that this quilt was practice for you and you really want to gift them with it. Or you could just accept with much gratitude any amount that they would want to pay. It certainly could buy fabric or sewing supplies.

Take what the give you, smile graciously, thank them and donate the money to charity. Breast Cancer Research, Cancer Research or your local SPCA.

Don't take away the joy of your friend wanting to pay you, just accept it and do something for her or someone else.

I would suggest that you have the confidence to accept the money.If you don't want to keep it, you can donate it to charity.However, the problem is solved if you accept the money.Your neighbours are obviously not "users"and that's possibly why you like them.So don't make them feel uncomfortable by not letting them pay.They won't give you the opportunity to assist them again and will go somewhere else next time.No one would think you are ripping them off if you ask/accept a fair price.You will enjoy the project once the finances are settled.

I would take the money or LQS gift card and use the fabric for other charity quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i had this problem with a close friend and regardless of what i said or wanted she insisted on paying me.

i finally got around it in a very sneaky way and she still jokes with me about it to this day (its been 5 years).

i told her to pay me with a check and i just never deposited it and therefore never really got paid for making the quilt.

i do agree with her that it was sneaky but in the end we both got what we wanted and were happy with the way the problem was solved.
    I love that idea!!! Gonna file that one away... Virg

Maybe at least let them buy the materials? That way you aren't out money for fabric, etc and you get more practice honing your skills!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KarenR
    I would take another approach to this. You said your a beginning quilter - only made a couple. I would find a class that I would love to take and make a deal with them. Tell they you will make the class but as payment they have to pay for your class to become a better quilter.

WIN-Win situation
    I like this idea. Let them pay for your class. Maybe make their quilt in the class so you have help should you need it.

I have a neighbor who lives alone. I visit her occasionally. I never leave without a goody bag. Last time it was bacon she had cooked and wrapped 2 sl. to the package and frozen. It makes her feel good to give so...

When this happens to me ,I tell them to donate whatever the want to pay to there church . It's worked so far.

So often we hear of neighbors who want us to quilt for free, it's refreshing to hear about those who ARE willing to pay. I agree with others on the board. Have them make a donation to the Heart Association for what they wanted to pay, or make it yourself. The only downside I can see is if word gets out that you're willing to make a quilt for free!

Blog Entries
    Simple, ask for the money to be donated to a favorite charity. If they don't want to do it, do it yourself. Look at it as a donation! No problem.

sjc

I was asked to make one for a Cancer walk. She wanted to pay so I told her if she bought the fabric for the quilt that I would donate my time to piece and quilt it for her. We were both blessed.

Let them pay you and then you can donate it to some needy charity.

Blog Entries
    Well, if you presented the quilt as a birthday or Christmas gift, would they still insist on paying?

Blog Entries
    Offer maybe to let them pay for the fabric you buy - you could give them the receipt - for the fabric, batting and back. Your assembly and quilting could be your act of love.

Donate any money that is gifted to you for the quilt to your Church, or charity of your choice. this way you are help more then just your friends.

Could you ask them to "pay it forward"?

Lots of good ideas here. A gift certificate from your local pizza shop or restaurant - or some place you like to go would be nice. Definitely accept the offer to pay you in some way.

This is always a personal quandry. When I made my very first quilt I asked a lady in my quilting class if she would quilt it for me. She did and when I asked how much I owed her, she said "Nothing" and, much to my dismay, ran out my front door. For weeks I asked her at each class to let me pay her or at least treat her to lunch. She always said she was too busy or was going to be out of town. After 5 months I finally told her that apparently she didn't want to be in my presence so I wasn't going to ask again. I guess some people just don't know how to gracefully accept a "thank you."

I would take any money & donate it to the heart association.

Just put a price tag on it for the cost of fabric & maybe an extra $10.00 bucks. Just let them know that is your price for that type of quilt. If they insist on paying more then except it gracefully & invite them out to lunch a few weeks later at your expense.

Sometimes it is Receiving that we Give. By accepting payment you may be giving them more pleasure than you know. If it bothers you to have the money make a quilt to donate there are many great causes or start one of your own. I have a friend that donates a quilt to a school here grandchildren used to go to. The school if very appreciative and it gives my friend great pleasure and the money from the raffle helps the school. There are always the Linus project, soldiers etc that gratfully accept quilts.
    Good luck in finding a solution that is good for everyone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast