Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Quilting FuPaw >

The Quilting FuPaw

The Quilting FuPaw

Old 11-22-2010, 06:17 AM

I don't like rotary cutters. They are very dangerous. KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:50 AM

It seems we have all had an accident with a rotary cutter, and usually from not sharp enough. I will for sure, change the blade when I get back home this time. I , too am always tempted to just push a little harder. Mine got so bade last time it was like making dot to dot that I then used the scissors to cut apart. Maybe that would be a good idea to create a blade that did that on purpose, so we could take the fabric with us on a trip and do the cutting with scissors while traveling. Hmmm, maybe that's not a good idea either. Oh well.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:11 AM

I did the same thing to my finger. It literally bleed for days. I now have suction cup handles on my rulers. It keeps my fingers way away from the rotary cutter. It also helps keep the ruler from slipping. I got mine from Harbor Freight. They are used to suction to glass to pick them up. Try it, you will never cut without them.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:15 AM

If my DH knew how dangerous a rotary cutter can be, I'd be back to cutting out my fabrics with scissors. Thankfully, I haven't had an accident with it yet (knock on wood), but I've cut myself a couple times with a pocket knife and with a piece of metal flashing. Funny enough, I don't have kitchen knife accidents, but did cut the very tip of my middle finger off with a mandoline slicer, The area grew back, but doesn't have any color.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:40 AM

Didn't your mama tell you not to play with sharp things. That makes me cringe just reading about it. Hope you get better soon. Glad you got friend to take you to hosp. Now go buy some new blades, it will be a lot cheaper than the hosp bill you will get.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:04 AM

Oh Sugarbee! I already treated those things with respect...but it will now be GREAT respect. I am so sorry! This too shall pass. Guess this makes officially you a VETERAN!!! (smile!) Maybe quilters who get injured on the job deserve something equivalent to a Purple Heart. What shall we call this 'ribbon?" Hummm....I'm thinking...
Old 11-22-2010, 10:07 AM

Had this same kind of accident years ago, I purchased a mesh wire glove (lightweight) and I wear it all the time now because I love myself and i don'tlike to get hurt.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:12 AM

OUCH!

Thanks for sharing your story with us. What a good reminder. . .
Old 11-22-2010, 10:26 AM

This made me moan just reading it! Glad you went on to the hospital. Hope you are already healing!
Old 11-22-2010, 01:15 PM

Ouch! hope it is feeling better. I have a little paper cut on my finger and it hurts,I can't imagine the pain you are feeling. Get well soon.