Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilting Gloves

I have a pair of Fons and Porter gloves and I like them. I use them for FMQ and sometimes SID for long seams. I haven't tried any other brand yet, but may try Machingers when the ones I have wear out (one has a bit of a hole in the side seam already).

at first i did not think i needed them. but oh, do i ever need them. Machingers... the best

Quote Originally Posted by RkayD
    I use mine all the time! I have the Fon's & Porter ones..they stay right in the drawer under my machine. When I need help holding something while sewing they're like an extra pair of hands almost. =)
    I just bought the Fon's & Porter and am happy with the way they work. The warmth keeps the arthritis at bay. And the gloves help to keep my hands from drying out.

have tried all kinds of gloves for FMQ. Machingers get my vote 100% ! cool, washable, light-weight. never quilt without them.

Blog Entries
    I just started using gloves a few projects ago and I really notice when I forget to put them on. I feel a lot less drag with my FMQ and my shoulders do not hurt as much. I just have the Fons and Porters gloves from JoAnns but may look into the Machingers when those need replacing.

B O M block of the month

If you want a good grip without gloves, etc. try a bottle of Glycerin. Does take much, just rub onto finger tips. It is great for sliding fabric to match those seems, etc. I've used it for years. I use pure glycerin. I got mine at Walmart pharmacy over the counter. Cheap!

I also use the Fons & Porters purchased from JoAnn's. Works just fine for me!

I used knitted gloves with the silicon or latex finger tips and palms for rubbing fur off dogs/cats. They worked great except they were thick and I couldn't feel what I was trying to hold well enough.

I got machingers and they are lighter, thinner, not as hot/sweat, and have better grip control.

They take the ache out of the inside of my hands, fingers, palms and wrist by letting me be more relaxed as I move heavy fabric.

Well worth the money.

Wash with mild detergent, hang to dry, do not wring.

I haven't gotten to the point where I am comfortable putting them back on my hands yet, but, it's coming along. Winter is coming, I am going to have to get used to it.

Aardie

Blog Entries
    Machingers....they are wonderful!

I have the Machingers and I really like them better
    than any others I have tried.

I use Machingers and highly recommend them. They keep your hands from sliding on the fabric when machine quilting, thereby helping to keep your stitches more even. Once you've used them, you won't want to be without them.

Blog Entries
    I hav Machingers and thought they were the best until I tried Grabaroos and I like them better. I can wear the Grabaroos to thread my machine, cut fabric, and hand sew, that's how flexible they are.

http://grabaroos.com/

I cannot take credit for this idea...I saw it on a blog. The lady there used the stuff like you put under a rug or in a tool box. She had two pieces cut out and used them just under her hands. I got a piece of it from dh and it works! Gloves make me feel all fumbly but this stuff leaves your hands free. Here's the blog I found it on...you'll have to go back aways and there's a video of her quilting.
    http://vickisvintagestitches.blogspot.com/

I also have the Atlas quilting gloves. They weren't very expensive. I bought them to try before buying a expensive pair. I LUV those gloves. It takes time to get used to wearing them. At first I was always taking them off & on all the time. Now I put them on and forget I am wearing them...Till I have a hot flash...then off with the gloves. LOL

I have bought the Fons & Porter gloves, but they frayed at the finger seams. I bought the gardeners gloves at a discount store and these were much better in grip and fit.

I have the Machingers, I took a fmq class and the teacher had all of the aid for fmq, rings, halo, garden gloves, finger cots, etc. So I got to try these up agains other fmq aids and other brands and love them. They are flexible engough I can thread a needle while wearing them and have tried quilting without them and just coudln't do it.

I use cotton gardening gloves with the little rubber dots on the finger tips...were a gift from my daughter last summer.

Another Machiniger fan here. I started with the cheap garden gloves, the thin mini gloves for winter and various other things that other gals in group said worked well. For me Machinigers is the only one that I use.

For the hand work I use Hand Eze gloves. Fingers are free but they keep all those tendons warm. I also have theraputic thumb supports that I was forced to use again this week. I overdid the cross stitching the other night and I have not had such a vicious attack from such a short period of time ever before. I will also use the Hand Eze as I am now when I am at the computer. There are other brands out there as well but I haven't used them.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    Machingers - not very expensive and they fit better than anything else, don't feel too warm, and you can do most of your sewing tasks with them on so you're not always slipping them off and on.
    I agree. The Machingers are light weight, and I found a fit in these gloves which has been a problem for me. I wear XS and that does not mean Small to med., it means I need XS. They are cheap, they are breathable, my hands don't sweat and I have trouble with fabric sometimes messing the ends of my fingers up, splitting. These gloves have removed that problem from my life also.

i did not buy "quilting gloves" i found some at harbor freight that fit fairly well that work well for me i think i paid 3 bucks for them and mr clean now makes a line of cleaning stuff and one of the things they make is a pair of spandex like material that has rubber grippy stuff on the fingers and palms that also fit well didnt see the need to pay high prices for something just because it says "quilting"

The first pair that I purchased were Machingers, now I'm using Graberoos.I have used the cheapo's also, but they don't give you the control you want. Not only do Machingers control the feed of the fabric into your machine, but I have found that it helps emmensely with my Arthritis. I love them, and won't quilt anymore without another pair. (The Graberoos I'm using now, are better then nothing- but give me Machingers again. PLEASE????

I use the Machingers also and love them. They are comfortable to wear and really help me move the quilt around when I fmq.

I too use the Machingers. They are not expensive, your hands don't get hot and sweaty, and it helps move the fabric easier.

I use the machingers for my FMQ and love them. They really help reduce the tension in your arms and shoulders. I tried the Fons & Porter ones but the finger tips wore out too fast.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast