Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: quilting gloves-use them or not

quilting gloves-use them or not

Hi, as the title says, do you use quilting gloves or not, to free motion quilt?
    I never had, until yesterday at a friend's house. She had a pair and I don't know if it was the large flat surface, or the gloves, or both that made the difference, but it sure helped my hands and my wrist not hurt. If you use gloves, what kind are yours? I am thinking of getting some next trip into town.

Machingers are great

I have tried Fons and Porter, several different varieties of garden gloves, rubber tips, and always go back to Machingers. I know they make some folks hands sweat but they don't for me and I think they are the best for me.

If you look on eBay you can find knock offs for really cheap and they work fine, at least for me.
    Alyce

Machinagers for me! At first I tried garden gloves with plastic dots but wasn't satisfied. Once I tried the Machinagers, that was it for me. I think the two things you mentioned, a flat surface and the gloves are so important to FMQ.

Before I got a longarm I did my machine quilting with Machingers. They really helped.

Blog Entries
    i've been using some garden gloves from walmart, about $1. they make such a difference in my being able to relax my shoulders!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    Machingers for me also. They fit well and the weave of the fabric doesn’t make my hands sweat. The finger tips and thumb have a rubberized coating.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Machingers.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Only Machingers. Every one that tells me garden gloves do the same for cheap more then likely have never used Machingers or probably touched one.

Machingers. I converted from garden gloves, and the fit and grip are so much better. They are thin and very stretchy so I feel like I can manipulate the quilt better. Bought mine on A---zon, very reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by indycat32 View Post
    Machingers are great
    They are great! They make FMQ so much easier.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I never thought I'd like quilting with gloves on, but now that I've tried it I can't quilt without them. The grip makes such a difference!

I also use machingers gloves and love them.

For those whose hands get sweaty, Angela Walters has come out with a new glove design. It only covers your wrist and a couple of fingers on each hand. The rest of your hand is open. If you look at some of her newer videos you will see her using them.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As I did not know if I would like them or would be able to do FMQ I bought the cheapest pair I could find on EBay, I think they came from China.
    I love wearing them, even if I’m just doing ‘stitch-in-the-ditch, and find them very helpful.

I'm a cheapskate I'm afraid. The the thin rubber matting that is used in cupboards and on your car dashboard to stop things slipping has many uses. It goes under my machine and under the foot pedal to stop any movement, but 4" squares each side of my needle to put my hands on is great when quilting.

Easy to move as the quilt goes through and no gloves to put on and take off.

I use Grabaroos brand. They are thin,stretchy, lightweight, and have little grippy dots on the tips of the fingers. Bought them a long time ago and don't think I could free motion quilt without them.

I use purple Grabaroos also. Love them. They fit tight like the Isotoner gloves of the past. I wouldn't free motion without them either. I love how they have grips on both sides so there is no left and right glove, just put them on and they work.

I can't machine quilt w/o gloves. I have Fons & Porter and Machinger's but the latter have held up better for me.
    I want to try Angela Walter's new gloves- well new to me, not sure how long they've been out.

I have a pair of Grabbaroos but the Machingers fit me much better and I can thread the needle with them on. I forget to take them off they fit so great.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I love my Machingers, even use one on my left hand while machine sewing on binding.

I don't use gloves but I should as I have cut a chunk out of my finger before but I thought maybe the gloves would be too cumbersome.

Blog Entries
    I love my Machingers.... not that expensive and work great!! I've had them for several years...
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

I hated machinery’s, just didn’t like the feel and they didn’t help me enough to make it worth it. Then I got a pair of Wonder Grip gloves by Bellingham. They are really great! Don’t want to work without them.
    In response to the original poster, the large flat surface also makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    I can't machine quilt w/o gloves. I have Fons & Porter and Machinger's but the latter have held up better for me.
    I want to try Angela Walter's new gloves- well new to me, not sure how long they've been out.
    I too use Machingers and sometimes still use my Fons and Porter ones. I'm very interested in the one's Angela Walters wears in her videos. I have seen people ask her about them but I don't see any responses. SusieQOH do you know where to get them?
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

I too use Machingers. They have helped me so much.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I have arthritic hands so the gloves help.
    Lori

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast