Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting Guilds

Blog Entries

Quilting Guilds

How do you go about joining a quilting guild, i'am retired so I quilt everyday and love every minute of it, I would rather quilt than eat and i'am always looking for new ideals,patterns,fabric,tools and different ways of doing things. I often wish I could exchange ideals and learn new tips from other quilters I want to join a quilting guild but don't know how to go about finding one in my area, any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Try your LQS. Have you goggled, your state name quilt guild? Most guilds say drop in for a meeting, and give you dates and time. Good luck and have fun.

contact a local fabric shop and ask if they know of any quilt guilds...google quilt guilds in your area... that could get you phone numbers to call others quilters,good luck
    Proud Mother of Sarah Grey
    Grey's Fabric and Notions
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/greysfabric?ref=seller_info

Try googling "quilt guilds [your city / state]. And if there's an LQS in your area, ask them. They may have brochures or cards. They may also have "bees" that meet at the store. Check at the community center in your area, if there is one. There may be a sewing group that meets there that you could join. Good luck in your search.

Blog Entries
    I second the idea of asking around at your LQS (local quilt shops). Not only will they know about guilds, they might also know of non-guild groups you might enjoy. One of the LQS in my area has a classroom with "open sew" times, where quilters can sew and chat. For that matter, any quilting-related business (such as a longarmer for hire) might be able to direct you.

Good luck!

All good ideas. I found out where one was in my area and went. Good experience.
    Alyce

Great ideas, good luck!!!!

Blog Entries
    Check with the local churches too. Most guilds seem to meet in churches.
    Got fabric?

remember that finding a quilt guild is like finding a doctor or dentist - you will feel more comfortable in one that fits your personality...so if you have choices in your area, check them all out to see where you feel most comfortable. Often folks join more than one because they get something different out of each one.
    Kate

Most, if not all, states have state quilt guilds with chapters throughout the state. Check it out on the net: [state] quilters guild. You will find something.

Most LQS's do have fliers of book marks for local quilting guilds.

Local quilt shows usually have advertising for local groups. Check your LQS's and "The Country Register" for quilt shows.

I have been trying to encourage the LQS's to put a listing of local quilting groups on their bulletin boards. So far it is slow going. Maybe because some groups prefer word of mouth advertising???
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Blog Entries
    if you type quilt guilds into your search engine you will find a list by state click on your state then scroll through the list to find the one nearest to you- often they have a web site or a contact person then you can find out when they meet and where- often guilds have membership drives, they also *generally* invite new people to come to a meeting and see what they are about then offer the opportunity to join. our local guild has a membership 'tea' in September every year but anyone can 'visit' a meeting during the year- then if they want to come back they are asked to join.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

My guild asks new people to introduce themselves. But don't leave it at that - find a table to sit at, introduce yourself to everyone there, ask them lots of questions about themselves, what they like to sew, etc. I also walk around to different tables to visit with people, even if I don't know them. Volunteer to help on committees, take things to show and tell. get involved. Hopefully you will find a fun guild to join. They can be a lot of fun.

Check with the County Agent office. They know of ladies that like to quilt or at least sew. Hugs