Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting On A Home Machine >

Quilting On A Home Machine

Quilting On A Home Machine

Old 05-20-2014, 03:06 PM

This is definitely doable on your home machine. I quilted my first quilt, which was at least a king, on my Janome which had about a 7 inch throat. I just did SITD, but it got the job done and the aunt and uncle I gave it to were perfectly happy.

Since doing this I've learned all kinds of ways to use my machine's straight stitch to do other than SITD. For example, making wavy lines that gently curve makes a big difference and adds a little more pizzazz than SITD.

Have at it and have fun!
Old 05-20-2014, 03:09 PM

As a beginner I quilted (SID) on a 60x75 with no problems. I took my time, and made sure the quilt was nicely supported to keep it from dragging while sewing. The quilt I did was for the family room and has been washed at least 20 times so far and all is well. I think as long as you can keep the weight of the quilt supported, you will do just fine.

I love both your patterns and am currently working on the lattice quilt myself. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:18 PM

I do have a BSR foot on my Bernina.
I use Warm and Natural Batting
I spray baste, it works best for me
I also start in the upper right corner and work my way over, down and around.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 05-20-2014, 03:24 PM

THANK YOU ALL!!!! I really appreciate all the tips and support! I think I have the confidence to try it

I bought Warm & Natural batting this weekend at JoAnns (they had queen sized for $14.99!!) for each of them, and I'm planning on buying the top fabrics once I finish a couple of projects on my ever-growing "to do" list. Lol. It was a promise I made my Hubby, but since they're for gifts it shouldn't count right? He he he
Old 05-20-2014, 04:04 PM

King on my janome mc 10001. I chose not to stitch in ditch because of turning it. I did cross stitches,and around the drop, straight stitches, on the length of bed. Oh, about a walking foot apart on the straight stitches. I did a search on my computer for quilting straight stitches, and all these gorgeous quilts appeared. I am going to finish my next king with even more, because I love the look.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:12 PM

I've completed two queen size quilts....it's not easy, but def. can be done. I love the feeling I get when I truly completed the quilt from start to finish. My latest quilts for my boys, they are their forever quilts, and they know that I made them, for THEM!
Old 05-20-2014, 04:40 PM

If you do a QAYG you can do any size you want very easily. I love this method and use it a lot. But you can do it the other way, just work slowly from the center out and try to have it lay flat as possible and not drag over the sides of the table you're using.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:06 PM

I have done a 101x101 on my Brothers 1500- the larger the quilt the harder it is but also the cheaper it is. (FREE) I use spray basting-( 505 now avaliable at Joanns) which make the quilt much lighter and easier to move around that using pins.

Also using a batting that requires farther apart stitch such a W&N is a good idea.

Also the Bernina store in Twinsburg rents out its long are for use at a hourly rate. You need to take a class on how to use the machine but then you can do your own FMQ on it. Cost?????? not sure but may be worth checking into.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:57 PM

I've done king size quilts on my DSM, not easily though, that's for sure.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:15 AM

A timely question....just fmqing on my janome 6600p a 92 x 92 quilt. To be fair I kind of used qayg by splitting it into quarters. Take your time with it - plan it - and most important enjoy it!