Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting On A Home Machine >

Quilting On A Home Machine

Quilting On A Home Machine

Old 05-21-2014, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
If you do a QAYG you can do any size you want very easily. I love this method and use it a lot. But you can do it the other way, just work slowly from the center out and try to have it lay flat as possible and not drag over the sides of the table you're using.
I do my modified version of QAYG. First I quilt the center which is usually 45" to 60" square or oblong. Then I add on the borders, which can add about 10" to each side, and quilt them. Makes it a little easier to handle.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:43 AM

Quilt it in sections. Only sew together a certain number of rows that is comfortable to put through your machine, and then when the quilting is finished, sew them all together. I've done it several times, and it works very, very well.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:49 AM

When ever I make a quilt I divide the pattern into rows. Take the first one or two rows (depending on width of row) and after assembling I do the qayg method. I will layer top batting and backing and quilt. It is very manageable this way. Then I will take the next "row" and place face to face on top and backing face to face. Stitch the rows together. Fold the out and place a strip of batting between and quilt that section. Continue thru last row. At this point you have a completely quilted quilt. If you are going to put boarders then do the same. Top and back, stitch, fold out and place batting between, then quilt. Treat the boarders same as rows. With this process you don't have to stuff the entire quilt in the harp of your machine. It is always to the left of the machine. When you are done assembling all you have left to do is binding. Most but not all patterns can be broken down into either horizontal or vertical rows for this process.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:04 AM

If you don't have a "FMQ" foot try a darning foot. They are pretty much the same thing. Most machines come with darning feet or quilting feet, one or the other.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:10 AM

I've never thought to use a double needle to quilt. What an awesome idea tapper! Love this board.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by knitwitrosie View Post
I know this has probably been asked a ZILLION times, but what's the largest you've quilted on a home, non-quilting machine?

The reason why I ask is I really want to make quilts for my Aunts for Christmas, however paying someone to do the quilting for me is a bit out of the question as it will severely put me over budget. Originally, my sister's MIL offered to do any quilting of mine for cheap/free when she first got her long-arm machine. Things have changed for whatever reason and now the cost to have two lap quilts done is way out of my budget.

The quilts are approx 60" x 76" each, and I'm probably going to just do SITD since I don't have a FMQ foot for my machine. I've got a Janome Sewist 525s as my primary sewing machine, but I do also have a Brother PC-6500 Embroidery/Sewing Combo Unit that has a slightly larger throat (but not by much) but I don't have a walking foot for that one.

I guess I'm just looking to see if ya'll think it's possible for me to quilt these suckers on my own without having to send it out to be done.
I have done a king size with a walking foot in stitch in the ditch or just straight line across like with a 9 patch or something easy. I have not done free motion quilting yet. LOL
Old 05-21-2014, 04:54 AM

If you really want to quilt these, the right tools are very important!! The purchase of a free motion foot is not expensive and while the even feed foot is more expensive, both will make your job much easier. If you don't want to purchase either of these, I would suggest tying them, because when quilting without them, there is a very good chance you won't be happy with the results.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:14 AM

Why not use the embroidery function on your Brother to quilt it? There are lots of quilting patterns available.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:16 AM

I have the Janome 6600 also and have quilted a large queen. It's a lot of quilt to work with but very doable. It does have a 9" throat and those extra 3" really help. For me the hardest part is basting a large quilt together but once I have it that far I enjoy the rest of the process. I took a couple of the FMQ classes on Craftsy.com and that helped me a lot - they give you hints on maneuvering a quilt while FMQ on a regular home machine. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:30 AM

Buy a FMF for your machine! It will not go to waste since you will then be able to quilt many other things. Also I like meandering for my FMQ. It can be done fairly quilckly on your quilt- just far enought apart as recommended by your batting manufacturer. Also I use invisible thread on top when doing SID so you can not see my uneven stitches as easily. On the back I use thread that matches the backing. Good luck!!!! You can do it!!!!!