Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting On A Home Machine >

Quilting On A Home Machine

Quilting On A Home Machine

Old 05-21-2014, 09:12 AM

I recently bought a Janome sewing machine, new, and one of the extras for the buying the machine was a "walking foot" if that is the one that is big and bulky when you hold it in your hand. Find out if it will work on your machine, and if it will, you can have it. My quilting machine is a Gammill Classic, so for me the quilting foot for my Janome will never be used. PM me with your address and I'll put it in the mail to you. Please don't ask me to take a pic of it for you. I have a camera, and could take the pic, but can't figure out how to post it.....
Old 05-21-2014, 09:16 AM

Use the foloowing tips-1) Use spray basting- makes quilt lighter and since it "glued" together the sandwich will not move aso you can start on any side. 2) use invisible thread for SID -you can not see stitch as easily so not see crooked lines 3) be sure entire quilt is suported well - do not let the quilt hang down since the weight of the quilt will make moving quilt harder and make the SID crooked.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:17 AM

22 years ago I quilting a king size quilt on my little singer sewing machine, using a walking foot. I used polyester batting and it was huge. My three year old daughter would stand beside me and help push the rolled up quilt through the machine. You really don't need a three year old help you but she wanted to. The quilt is still on the bed. Go for it!
Old 05-21-2014, 09:46 AM

Check out QAYG , there are a number of ways to do it. If you don't want any hand sewing

http://quilting.wonderhowto.com/how-...achine-423636/
Old 05-21-2014, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
I recently bought a Janome sewing machine, new, and one of the extras for the buying the machine was a "walking foot" if that is the one that is big and bulky when you hold it in your hand. Find out if it will work on your machine, and if it will, you can have it. My quilting machine is a Gammill Classic, so for me the quilting foot for my Janome will never be used. PM me with your address and I'll put it in the mail to you. Please don't ask me to take a pic of it for you. I have a camera, and could take the pic, but can't figure out how to post it.....
Thank you so much for the offer!!! That is so sweet of you! I actually bought one a few weeks ago off of Amazon for my machine, just have yet to use it. Thanks for the offer though
Old 05-21-2014, 09:52 AM

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN for the wonderful tips and support!! I finally have the confidence to try and tackle doing it! Just placed my order this morning on Missouri Star for all my materials and can't wait to get started!
Old 05-21-2014, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
One possibility is to quilt in sections. I did this until I bought a longarm. I used Marti Michell's book, Machine Quilting in Sections, to learn various ways to do it. I quilted an oversize king, 118x188, that way.
This is how I am going to do my next large quilt.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:40 PM

I just did a queen size on my Featherweight. The batting was Warm and Natural, so wasn't too bulky. I just rolled it up, and it worked just fine.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

Quilts that size are definitely doable, especially simple quilting. I quilted 2 king size quilts on my DSM as well as dozens of queen size quilts, lap and baby quilts. I think I would invest in a walking foot for your machine, as it is well worth the price, as it will save you lots of aggravation when quilting. You can do it, just take your time and it will all work out.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:43 PM

I have quilted numerous quilts on my DSM. A few suggestions to add to what you already have gotten. If you decide to SITD, use a serpentine, herringbone or some other interesting stitch instead of a straight stitch. It adds interest to the quilt and isn't as noticeable if you miss the ditch. There is a book called 'Mile-a-Minute quilts' by Sharon Hultgren that is very similar to QAYG. Quilts are made in 20" wide sections and then covered with a sashing type binding. It would lend itself well to your pattern as it has the lattice type look to it. Then you would only have that 20" width by your length section to fit under your machine.
If you don't go that route, use your walking foot to sew a long curved line from corner to corner and then repeat it at whatever inch intervals you would like. You could even go the opposite direction and create a curvy crosshatch.
Your pattern would be fairly simple to use a grid-like pattern to quilt and with W&N the quilting distance is about 5-10".
I hope this helps and good luck with your quilts.