Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting ideas for Borders

Quilting ideas for Borders

I am not a huge border fan but have ended up with 4 quilt tops with 5” borders (making use of pre-cut impulse buys and needed to add borders to make the quilt tops large enough).

I have quilted two of the borders with continuous feathers and they turned out okay. I loved how quick the feathers went down and was tempted to use them again but want to challenge myself a bit. I have spent hours on-line looking at pictures and tutorials but often you can’t tell what is going on in the border.

Any suggestions for an alternative to the feathers would be greatly appreciated.

I guess I would label myself a confident beginner. Quilting on my Janome 8900QCP. Both border fabrics are fairly busy so will be reasonably forgiving.

Blog Entries
    search online for quilt designs on borders. there are lots on Pinterest. that might help give you ideas.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Do you have anything particular in mind? I love leaves! Big, small, and in-between. Also, I have to say one time, I went with a theme. The body of one of my quilts had dolphins in it, so I put waves in the border. It looks great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    Here’s one I like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Suggest you look at on line catalogs from The Stencil Co and Quilting Creations International and their border designs. Other sources don’t have designs organizes as these two. Select something in a 4 or 4.5 inch size that compliments your tops.

Name:  20190421_205954.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  166.3 KBName:  20190421_205859.jpg
Size:  229.3 KBName:  20190421_205934.jpg
Size:  70.0 KBHere are 3 ideas for simple designs.You can lengthen or widen to suit your border.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    if you are thinking maybe a more masculine quilt, or more modern, then I'd recommend checking out some of Angela Walters designs--there are several that are more geometrical and fairly easy to do . dividing the border into 4 or 5" sections (chalk them) make them pretty darn easy.

There some good ideas on this video. She shows you how to do the corners which is always my Achilles heel.

https://youtu.be/gLxsfgM2E4w

Quote Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
    There some good ideas on this video. She shows you how to do the corners which is always my Achilles heel.

Thanks, in particular I love the idea of laying the clear vinyl over your quilt! I will definitely try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    Do you have anything particular in mind? I love leaves! Big, small, and in-between. Also, I have to say one time, I went with a theme. The body of one of my quilts had dolphins in it, so I put waves in the border. It looks great.
    I used waves in the sashing of another quilt that had a mermaid theme....though not as neat as yours.....
    I like the the density of the feathers and how they fill the entire border. I guess I was looking for something else that would have the same qualities.

Stitch678....Hmmm, I like the idea of combining styles like you did on the polka dots, I think I will play with this a bit and see if I can come up with something

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt30 View Post
    Suggest you look at on line catalogs from The Stencil Co and Quilting Creations International and their border designs. Other sources don’t have designs organizes as these two. Select something in a 4 or 4.5 inch size that compliments your tops.
    I didn’t think of checking out a stencil website, thanks for the suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by JanieW View Post

Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. I found it very helpful. I bought a Janome 9500 so I could quilt on a DMS, but I have been too intimidated to try to quilt on it. I think I can do it now.

Hi 1Nanoo,

You’re welcome.

I have the Janome 9400. My 11 year old grandson is learning to fmq on it. He’s doing quite well so you will be fine. One thing about him being young is he’s fearless. I think that helps.

I recommend you use the purple tip needle. It makes a difference. Good luck. Let me know how you get on.