Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Instructions >

Quilting Instructions

Quilting Instructions

Old 05-12-2014, 08:36 AM

Default Quilting Instructions

I just finished my first applique quilt and will be taking it to the LA quilter this week.

This is only my 4th quilt to be quilted so I am still a little unsure of the procedure. For my previous quilts I told her to do what she thought would look the best and am VERY happy with the results.

I really like the quilting that was done on the quilt that was photographed for the pattern and would like something similar for my quilt. Would it be bad to bring the pictures from the pattern and show the quilter what I like or is that "bad form" to use someone else's quilting as an example? I don't want her to copy it exactly, I just want to show her what I like about the quilt.

Thanks!
Jeanne
Old 05-12-2014, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Maybe when you talk to her ask the question, "Would you be open to a suggestion on the quilting?" I think it is hard to design quilting to complement a quilt from scratch. So maybe she would be glad to have something to go by.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

As a LAQ I welcome client input, especially if it within my capabilities of doing. I don't think it is bad etiquette to bring photos of the quilting you like. She will let you know if she can come close or not. (at least I would hope she would)
Old 05-12-2014, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

It's your quilt, so you should be able to tell your quilter what you want. A picture is worth a thousand words, and so it's much easier to describe what you are after with a photo. I agree with Feline Fanatic, in that your quilter should be honest about her skill level and be willing to talk about what they can realistically accomplish. If possible, leave the photo pinned to the quilt so they remember!!!
Old 05-12-2014, 09:29 AM

That would be no different than you telling a sales clerk that you prefer the blue shirt over the red one. I would think the long armer would be open to your preferences so she can count on your continued business and possibly referrals. I would not hesitate to open up about what you'd like.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:41 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

That would make it a custom job and would cost quite a bit more. I love to tell my LAQ how I want my quilts quilted. She is amazing and exceeds my expectations every time. But I do have to pay almost a third more, if not more. But it's so worth it to me. I have taken in pictures and she's had no problems copying the quilting designs. You should be fine. Lots of people ask for custom jobs. She also has a book with all her designs, her 'all over' designs, that she can do and I can pick which I prefer. I usually let her pick the design and color of thread, but not always. She's so amazing!!!
Old 05-12-2014, 09:59 AM

Definitely not bad form. It sounds like you are comfortable with talking to her about what you want, and just unsure about using a photo of another's work. I don't think that's an issue at all - you can talk about what you like about it, and she can work with you to design something she's comfortable doing and you will love.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:00 AM

As a longarm quilter, I PREFER it when my customer gives me some ideas of not only what she LIKES for quilting designs, but also what she DOESN'T like. It's the best way for me to be sure that she will like the final product. I can be the BEST 'feather quilter' (or whatever) in the world, but if you personally don't like feathers, you are not going to be happy.

I personally do not agree with the quilters who have the attitude of "they're hiring me because I'm the expert, I'm going to put what I want on this quilt, I don't need/want their input". I consider myself and the client to be partners, and even if I think the quilt would look best with teeny-tiny dense quilting, if the custom prefers looser quilting, then that is what I'll give them.

So don't be afraid to share your thoughts on how you would like it quilted. If the quilter seems offended or says she's going to just do it her way anyhow, I'd look for a new quilter.

Andi
Old 05-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

Being a long arm quilter I always really appreciate customers who bring in pictures, examples, drawings, ideas of what they would like...it is always a bit stressful to have someone say "do whatever you think".
Old 05-12-2014, 01:29 PM

I think taking photos is a great idea so she can see what you want--clear communication is best for BOTH of you!