Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting the Jane Stickle Quilt >

Quilting the Jane Stickle Quilt

Quilting the Jane Stickle Quilt

Old 11-13-2015, 02:37 PM

Default Quilting the Jane Stickle Quilt

I've been hand stitching this old gal now for about 4 years. My last block count makes me realize I will be in a position to assemble and start hand quilting in January. But I'm at a total loss as to HOW to quilt this. No picture I've ever seen is detailed enough to actually see the quilting beyond the folds and wrinkles of time. I've sure some of my fellow admirers in the east have visited the museum and seen the work. I'm pretty sure each block is an individual consideration. Does anyone have some guidance they can pass along?
Old 11-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

i applaud you for nearing the end of your piecing. if you click on the bottom left pic at this link, the quilting used shows fairly well http://jfb-levage.com/tag-dear-jane-quilt-blocks.html . And then there's Green Fairy Quilt's quilting here http://www.greenfairyquiltsblog.com/...dear-jane.html . Some closeups of the quilting appear here also http://thatquilt.blogspot.com/ .

choosing designs is quite tough for me, too. i'm a long way from finishing my DJ
Old 11-13-2015, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

lacelady, on this board, posted pictures of her hand-quilted Jane Stickle quilt. Look down through the messages to see some close-ups of her quilting. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...nt-t55808.html

I'm in awe of anyone who finishes one of these quilts. It's still on my would-like-to-do list.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:01 PM

Those examples shown are awesome. I'm (very slowly) working on a DJ myself.....and haven't even thought about the quilting part yet.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:18 AM

mine is double sided, tons of thick fabric spots to quilt through
I just kept it simple, used gold metallic thread, quilted around the back side appliques and did a hanging diamonds grid on the rest of the area.
Attached Thumbnails sharyn-woerz-kalamaquilts-dear-jane.jpg  
Old 11-14-2015, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

I went to view the quilt a couple of years ago. As I recall it is not that heavily quilted. I am pretty sure I remember that it was mostly ditched and echo quilted around the pieces of patchwork. Around 1/4" echo which is pretty standard for hand quilting. The museum website has one close up pic of the signature block in the corner and you can see by that picture that it wasn't quilted to heavily.

http://www.benningtonmuseum.org/stic...rch_highlight3
Old 11-14-2015, 12:45 PM

I hand quilted mine very simply as close to the "style" I could see from photographs. Mine was QAYG, so not all over:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535664[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535665[/ATTACH]

Have fun with it!
Attached Thumbnails firstquilting.jpg   fav3.gif  
Old 11-15-2015, 06:53 PM

I finished my JS quilt about four years ago, and have been quilting it for about four years - at least that's what it seems like. I have found that, if you have a copy of Benda Papadakis' book and a fairly strong magnifying glass, you can see the stitching in most of the photographs of the original quilt - just.
You're right, each block is quilted differently, but after 81 blocks I have got come to the point where I have a fair idea of the style of quilting that was used and figuring it out becomes a little easier to figure out.
I think it's worth it, if you can persevere that way, as makes the final phase of the quilt a bit more interesting.
Well done on completing your quilt. But don't stop now.