Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
THE Jane Stickle quilt is on display! >

THE Jane Stickle quilt is on display!

THE Jane Stickle quilt is on display!

Old 09-29-2013, 04:53 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MdmSew'n'Sew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
Posts: 551
Default THE Jane Stickle quilt is on display!

Googling the other day, I discovered that the Jane Stickle quilt is on display at the Bennington, VT museum through October 15th. This is the 150th anniversary year and it looks like they're really doing her masterpiece proud. Since her quilt is so precious and fragile, they only display it for a few weeks a year, so this is really special.

I feel a road trip in my near future! Anyone want to join me? I'll drive.
MdmSew'n'Sew is offline  
Old 09-29-2013, 05:36 AM
  #2  
Super Member
 
GEMRM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South West Ontario
Posts: 2,145
Default

I'd love to go, just did the mapquest - 8 hours one way! Working on DH to go! Wish I'd known about this exhibit sooner!
Time is flying!
GEMRM is offline  
Old 09-29-2013, 12:08 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MdmSew'n'Sew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
Posts: 551
Default

If you make it down there, let me know what day ... I'm thinking I'll take a day off from work and toodle up there - it's about a 3 hour trip for me ... but SOOOOO worth it, right? Maybe we can meet at the museum?! It would be great to share the experience with someone who understands.
MdmSew'n'Sew is offline  
Old 09-29-2013, 01:14 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Sailorwoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Portland, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 387
Default

I am embarrassed to admit that I did not know the Jane Stickle quilt so I googled it. What an absolutely amazing quilt! Looking at that and realizing that it was all done by hand and in such difficult times puts my desire for a new machine into a different perspective. I envy all who get to see it in person but hope to read the comments when whoever has gone to see it returns and shares. Enjoy!!
Sailorwoman is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 05:15 AM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 38
Default

i'll have to look up "good ole Jane" too.
TrueColors is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 05:24 AM
  #6  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Corpus Christi, Tx.
Posts: 16,105
Default

I just saw a small part of the quilt and it's stunning! Wish it would've shown the complete quilt but liked what i saw. I googled it.
tessagin is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 05:28 AM
  #7  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 10,566
Default

I live only 30 minutes from the museum and have lived that close for a very long time! I just went and viewed the quilt for the first time this Saturday! It is amazing and my friend and I spent a good 20 to 30 minutes inspecting it and we had it all to ourselves. You can get your nose within a few inches of the quilt to closely inspect Jane's amazing needle work and skills in quiltmaking. The quilt is awe inspiring. After we had our fill of it we stepped into the next room but while still in ear shot and eyesight of "Jane" two other ladies approached for their genuflections. LOL. It was amusing to watch as we all seem to react the same way. We stand, we stare, our jaws drop, we inhale audibly and exhale with some whispered exclamation, such as "oh my" ,"Wow" , "amazing" or "holy cow" take your pick.

Definitely come up to see it. It is worth the trip and the leaves are just reaching peak. Admission to the museum is only $10 and they have some other wonderful displays too, including an entire collection of Grandma Moses paintings.

Edited to add, the quilt is currently displayed in FULL glory with no partition between viewer and quilt. It is displayed an angle and fully laid out. Directly behind it is the original Bennington 1776 flag as well.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 09-30-2013 at 05:30 AM.
feline fanatic is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 06:42 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MdmSew'n'Sew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
Posts: 551
Default

I will be up there sometime the middle of next week, depending on my work schedule - a couple of weeks ago I went to the Hyde Museum in Glens Falls, NY, for a Georgia O'Keeffe show, some of the paintings she did during her earlier life with Alfred Steiglitz. His family had a compound up at Lake George and she spent several months every year painting up there. I could already see how her use of color and light has affected my sensibilities as I began planning a quick lap quilt for a dear friend in shades of purple yesterday.

Right now life is so full of color and texture, I feel like I'm going to explode! First GO'K, now Jane and Grandma Moses - plus I think there's a display of quilts by Haitian Women also at the Museum? Oh, frabulous joy!
Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I live only 30 minutes from the museum and have lived that close for a very long time! I just went and viewed the quilt for the first time this Saturday! It is amazing and my friend and I spent a good 20 to 30 minutes inspecting it and we had it all to ourselves. You can get your nose within a few inches of the quilt to closely inspect Jane's amazing needle work and skills in quiltmaking. The quilt is awe inspiring. After we had our fill of it we stepped into the next room but while still in ear shot and eyesight of "Jane" two other ladies approached for their genuflections. LOL. It was amusing to watch as we all seem to react the same way. We stand, we stare, our jaws drop, we inhale audibly and exhale with some whispered exclamation, such as "oh my" ,"Wow" , "amazing" or "holy cow" take your pick.

Definitely come up to see it. It is worth the trip and the leaves are just reaching peak. Admission to the museum is only $10 and they have some other wonderful displays too, including an entire collection of Grandma Moses paintings.

Edited to add, the quilt is currently displayed in FULL glory with no partition between viewer and quilt. It is displayed an angle and fully laid out. Directly behind it is the original Bennington 1776 flag as well.
MdmSew'n'Sew is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 06:45 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MdmSew'n'Sew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
Posts: 551
Default

Check out "Dear Jane" book by Brenda Papadakis, she has drafted all 225 blocks - there is also a website.
Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I just saw a small part of the quilt and it's stunning! Wish it would've shown the complete quilt but liked what i saw. I googled it.
MdmSew'n'Sew is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 07:35 AM
  #10  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 10,566
Default

Originally Posted by MdmSew'n'Sew View Post
plus I think there's a display of quilts by Haitian Women also at the Museum? Oh, frabulous joy!

I did not see any Haitian quilts. I do know there was a woman in Bennington that had gone down to Haiti to teach women to quilt. Maybe the exhibit is closed now??
We went through the whole museum, it isn't very large. But it if it was in some obscure wing that we somehow missed, that is possible.
feline fanatic is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
LynnVT
Main
9
12-26-2013 07:23 PM
Kitsie
Main
17
10-04-2013 07:55 AM
LynnVT
Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
9
09-16-2012 08:51 AM
Phylliss
Main
1
05-30-2012 06:06 PM
bearisgray
Main
4
08-07-2009 11:11 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.