Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on Jelly Roll quilt >

Quilting on Jelly Roll quilt

Quilting on Jelly Roll quilt

Old 08-15-2013, 12:01 PM

Default Quilting on Jelly Roll quilt

Sewed the jelly roll quilt and it is all set up for spray basting. I keep looking at it and have a lot of hesitation about how to quilt it. I am not into FMG. I have considered straight lines the wof direction, but not confident about keeping the lines straight. If I do this, how close do I quilt? Used Hobbs batting. Would appreciate any advise you can give me. It has been laying on the pool table a week now and I do not want to start another quilt until this one is done. (sewed the quilt back in January)
Old 08-15-2013, 12:15 PM

Why not a diagonals . Draw your firstacross the centre of quilt with your walking foot. Keep correct distance apart by using the metal thing ,looks like a funny L . This fits into back of walking foot usually can find holes to push in. If not use 1 inch wide masking tape and put that across your first line to mark the distance.
Hope you have fun and don't forget start from the middle .
Old 08-15-2013, 12:18 PM

I'd just use my presser foot as my guide, keeping the edge of the foot right on seam. When you reach the end turn and go down the other side of the seam.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:34 PM

I'm in the process of finishing 2 jelly roll quilts. I did stitch in the ditch between the strips and FMQ on the borders. They have turned out surprisingly cute - which is good since they are for my 2 two Tween Nieces. My original plan was to do straight line quilting across the entire quilt following the ditches, but I was worried I would veer off left or right at the borders and end up with everything all cattywompus.

My second plan was to follow the ditches on the body of the quilt anddo straight lines following the length of the borders - kind of like framing the quilt in lines. I will probably do that when I do a more contemporary jelly roll quilt.

Last edited by Mitch's mom; 08-15-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:20 PM

Here is what I did on one of the Jelly Roll 1600 quilts I did. Go to the website www.bijoulovelydesigns.com, under tutorials,#8 is wavy line quilting. She does a terrific demo and explanation. This is how I learned wavy line quilting to use on a Jelly Roll 1600, and I have used the method numerous times since.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:53 AM

That's a good tutorial you posted nyelphaba, thanks!
Old 08-17-2013, 08:35 AM

What good timing! I will soon have my Jelly Roll 1600 ready for quilting....the wavy line quilting looks like the ideal way to quilt it. Thank you, nyelphaba.