Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting and jury duty >

quilting and jury duty

quilting and jury duty

Old 05-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

If you get selected to serve, NOPE - you're supposed to be paying attention to the proceedings. You can take it for the breaks and lunch. If you just go for the day to see if you get selected, then you can take handicrafts - I have seen people knit and crochet in the hallway.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:35 AM

My daughter has a letter from her doctor in case she sets off the alarms. Her rods in her back are titanium- they do not set off alarms.

She just flew in Tues.- no problems.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:45 PM

I just took a trip and took needles and scissors on the plane. Of course, they won't allow pointed scissors but they will allow the kids Fiscars that mine used in school. They are very sharp and will even cut fabric if needed! I have also taken scissors that have a cap and look just like a fat pen and never been bothered but heaven forbid I take my micra Leatherman!
Old 05-20-2010, 03:00 PM

No way. You may want to take it with you to sew in the jury room, but if you're selected for jury duty, you won't be able to bring it into the courtroom.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:13 PM

I agree - STUPID criminals and terrorists. They could spend their time better by making a quilt.

I went to TSA's site: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1252.shtm
and this is what they said about it.
"Transporting Knitting Needles & Needlepoint
Traveling with Special Items"
Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage.

Items needed to pursue a Needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside which cannot go through the checkpoint and must go in your checked baggage.

Hope this helps. ~ Di
Old 05-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I doubt if they'll let you do any kind of handwork if you serve on a jury since you're supposed to be paying attention to the trial. Even if you normally watch tv and do handwork at home it looks like you're not paying attention.

Don't forget, innocent people actually do get arrested and charged with crimes they didn't do. Look at how many people have been set free on DNA evidence!
She might be thinking of the long wait in the jury pool. Sometimes one sits there for a day or two without getting called. A lot of work can get done on a quilt if that's the case.

8-)
Old 05-20-2010, 07:15 PM

I wish I could bring in my sewing machine while I waited to find out if I would get called. I have sat for almost an entire day for before. and I really could get a whole quilt done. probably not though. no kids around and lots of time trapped in one location, sounds like a good day at your sewing machine.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:43 PM

I had jury duty this last April and I took a book with me and they took that away from me until the end of the day. So good luck with the quilting?