Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting with Lace >

quilting with Lace

quilting with Lace

Old 05-30-2011, 03:55 AM

I recently saw some quilts for sale our our lqs. Some of the squares has a lace overlay and some had lace inside borders. The fabrics were shiny or glittery underneath but I think the lace would look great over some flowered fabrics like Moda. I was wondering where do you get the lace to cut into squares.
Also on the same trip I saw some childrens quilts made with 4 inch squares and some of them were corderoy. How is that to use in combination with cotton? Does it stretch?
It really looked beautiful, I wish I had my camera. I almost bought the quilt for my grandson it was so nice.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:03 AM

You can find lace fabrics at Jo-Ann's, Fabricland, FabricMart, possibly Hobby Lobby --- anywhere that sells fashion fabrics. (Especially if they handle finer fabrics for weddings etc).

The corduroy should work fine with quilting cottons..... just be aware of the difference in weight. There are some very nice light-weight cords out there, especially for kids, but also some that are very heavy. You may want to prewash your fabrics if mixing types, as I'd expect the corduroy to shrink at a different rate than quilting cotton.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:06 AM

I'Ve bought lace yardage at Hancocks in the past when I made bridal gowns. also purchased lace tablecloth yardage there that had patterns done in squares that were different designs. Of course, the tablecloths were poly. ZI would think you could find old evening gowns at thrift shops that could be cut up too.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:08 AM

I like the tablecloth idea, thanks