Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Magazine Subscriptions >

Quilting Magazine Subscriptions

Quilting Magazine Subscriptions

Old 05-01-2014, 05:37 AM

I have gotten Fons and Porter for years... but thinking about stopping it... Seems they have nothing new and do a lot of scrappy, which isn't my thing. There are lots of free offers out there. You can order a sample of the magazine, well actually you subscribe and they send one issue... if you like you pay the rate, if you don't , write cancel on the billing or invoice and you owe nothing. I take advantage of this whenever they send me the offer... there are no strings, and if they are willing to send me a free magazine to review, I am happy to look at it.

I like Block from MSQC... although a lot of the patterns are on You Tube, so if you are only getting one magazine, you may want to try one that doesn't offer those patterns elsewhere.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

I really like McCall's' Quick Quilts but I also couldn't resist subscribing to Quilter's World because you get access to their past issues online. Took me a few days to look thru all their past issues. So many quilts, so little time !!!
Old 05-01-2014, 06:23 AM

Quick quilt !!!! It's great for a newbie.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:24 AM

I get several magazines but McCalls is my favorite - always find something of interesting. Fons and Porter would probably be my suggestion for a new quilter.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:37 AM

For the most part I do not get quilt subscriptions. Too many times there is really nothing in them that I would actually make, so feel as if I've been gipped. I would rather head to a great book store and look through several magazines until I find something that really interests me and then purchase that magazine. With this being said, I have subscribed to the Missouri Star Quilt Company's new BLOCK magazine, as how Jenny puts blocks together is easy, new and inventive.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:30 AM

My favorite magazine is Quiltmaker Magazine.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
the new one called Block from Missouri Star Quilt Co seems to be a big hit. when i was a newbie, i found Fons and Porter quite informative
I also like McCall's and Quiltmaker
Old 05-01-2014, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I stopped my all my subscriptions a few years ago. So many free patterns on the manufactures web sites and other web sites. Too many times I was less than thrilled with an issue. Now if I find an issue of a particular magazine that has something , I buy just that magazine issue.
Same here. Why spend the money when my bucket list is already full!?!?!
Old 05-01-2014, 08:24 AM

Thank you all for the great suggestions!! I'm checking out all the ones you mentioned, and my just head off to B&N to check them out in person before doing anything!!

I really appreciate it!
Old 05-01-2014, 08:25 AM

buy a couple from the grocery store,and then decide which ones you prefer. I agree that there is so many free patterns and great how to videos on the net, check out youtube and missouri star quilt company for free videos. You may decide thats all you need.