Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilting Magazines-GRRRR!!!!

Blog Entries
    I was looking at magazines at Wal-Mart just the other day and not a one in plastic. I get several subscriptions (just to have something to read and enjoy them) and some of them are in plastic. But have not seen them on the shelves in plastic around here.

I do subscribe to three different quilting magazines and I do enjoy getting them in the mail and drooling over them. However after a few years you get loaded with mags. I do look in the store and the only ones I find in plastic are usually the ones that have an extra pattern or supplement of some sort. I can understand those being wrapped up. After getting the mags for a while, I do get tired of all the advertisements. I know they do that to supplement the mag but I don't want to see adds for clothes and my quilting magazine.

Blog Entries
    Both Wal-Marts here have Fons & Porter in plastic.

Magazines have long since been wrapped in plastic bags, especially if more than one is offered at a time for 'bargain price' That is to stop us taking up space whilst reading magazines in newsagents and any of us lucky enough to have idetic memories can take designs and info without paying for them :roll: Some newsagents have signs asking us not to read before purchase 8-)

Didn't think of 'thumbing through before' that could be a health risk if people moisten their thumb in mouth and then turn pages :shock:

I think they should have one copy not in plastic so we can see it. They can just write it off and it could be marked "not for sale". That way we could see inside and make our decision.

The only one I ever see in the plastic is Fon's and Porter The other are all open. I just got 2 last week

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ada Shiela
    Didn't think of 'thumbing through before' that could be a health risk if people moisten their thumb in mouth and then turn pages :shock:

True of any library book.

I gave up buying Australian Patchwork and Quilting - and their other patchwork magazines years ago. They package them in plastic AND add another one or 2 back copies they can't get rid of, THEN make you pay for the extras as well as the current issue.

The only magazine I buy that is in plastic, is Australian Quilter's Companion - in fact it is the *only* Australian quilting magazine I do buy. The reason that is in plastic, is because they include a DVD in a hard case on a quilting technique. You can imagine how many of those that would go missing if they weren't wrapped.

I quit subscription except to QuilterWorld. I became tired of F&P. I was looking forward to their 25 anniversary, but I was disappointed. The only reason I still rec QW is because DH renewed for 2 yrs. Without asking me. He is a good man

Judy thanks for this web site. It is great.. I too stopped buying quilt magazines, but am always tempted when I walk buy them.
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by craftiladi
    Hmmmm I suspect thats exactly why they do it so people like you & me can't thumb through them. Here in Utah the only quilt magazine that comes sealed in plastic F & P but it always has been. I really scaled back on my magazine subscriptions a couple yrs ago when the prices just worth the content, espically when there seems to be so many ads.
    Me too. If I can't find a pattern on the internet or in the books I have that I like, then I'm pretty picky.

Quote Originally Posted by mar32428
    Quote Originally Posted by craftiladi
    Hmmmm I suspect thats exactly why they do it so people like you & me can't thumb through them. Here in Utah the only quilt magazine that comes sealed in plastic F & P but it always has been. I really scaled back on my magazine subscriptions a couple yrs ago when the prices just worth the content, espically when there seems to be so many ads.
    Me too. If I can't find a pattern on the internet or in the books I have that I like, then I'm pretty picky.
    Oh, Another thing. I have learned more and had more questions answered here on the Board than all the magazines put together.

I not only quit quilting mags but am in the process of stopping all the mags I now get when the subscrip expires. Need to watch my pennies. I do feel a bit sorry for the mag companies in that they are losing so many subscribers, hope they can keep going so their employees stay employed.

Blog Entries
    I'm with you all the way re: mags in stores. I have a sub to Quilters World; it comes wrapped in plastic. I'm glad of this because there are time I get mail that is completed ripped half way across the first 4 or 5 pages.Does anyone else have problems with their mail?

I do not like the plastic bags either. The thing is, I make sure when I buy a magazine that the patterns are in it, my SIL bought one and the patterns were nicely torn out. So I can see the bag, but you can not see what you are buying. Some covers look so good and there is nothing great inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah12687
    I use to go to the library and look at the new quilting mags first and if I found something Id want to make in it I would buy it.
    I have also given away most of my mags. Don't subscribe any more. But I do check out the quilting mags from our local library. The only issue that cannot be checked out is the current one. All other issues (usually for the past 1-2 years) can circulate. So I get to carefully peruse all the patterns I want. It's a great resource.

I think they do it to try and make people buy the mag. If I can't see what's inside I'm certainly not going to buy it.

Banned
    My guess is they wrap it so someone does not pull the patterns out.

I did notice that at the checkout in the grocery store & any thoughts of buying it left when I found it sealed in plastic. I don't know their motive for this but I'd be willing to bet sales will be way down. Then maybe, just maybe they will stop the practice.

I think this is a double-edged sword situation. We want the magazines to continue to be published but we don't want the advertising...which pays the bills. We want magazines to be complete and pristine with any attached templates/instructions but we don't want the plastic wrapper that insures that happens. When I was a new quilter (and less discriminating!) I had to subscribe to every magazine out there. Some I started with premier issues and stayed with them till they closed shop. Most of the time they came damaged in the mail. I hated that and would suggest to the publisher that all magazines should come in plastic. Now I don't subscribe to any magazines because it seems to me that over the 30yrs I have been a quilter the magazines just re-invent the same wheels over and over. I really enjoyed Quilter's Home when Mark Lipinski was the editor...but then I have a really weird sense of humor and this magazine was not, and was not ever intended to be, primarily a pattern magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyG
    Have you seen the online quilt magazine? I think it's pretty nice. Free, at least for now with lots of good information in it. http://www.onlinequiltmagazine.com/d...qm-2010-09.pdf

I quit buying magazine a few years ago. There's usually only one or two things in them you might want and keep them for and then you can't find what it is when you want it. It's so much easier to find things on the internet and with all I save on subscriptions I can afford to pay for a pattern or two if I need to.
    Thank you for the tip about OQM. I just subscribed. We have so many eyes looking across the internet for goodies, that hardcopy paper magazines are going to start going the way of snail mail. Saves a lot of trees and storage space. :-)

Great idea!

I've cut back on my mag' subscriptions and hate that the one's I'd like to thumb through are in plastic. As it's been said, there are tons on the internet and here too.

I use to subscribe to all the quilt mags too. I decided to stop
    because so many of them I'd look through and nothing interested me. I decided to just go to the store and decide for myself if I really needed it. I've come across the plastic situation too. I decided that meant I didn't need it.
    The only mags I subsrcibe to anymore are Quilt Quilts and Fons and Porter. I'll just stick with those. :thumbup:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast