Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Magazines-GRRRR!!!! >

Quilting Magazines-GRRRR!!!!

Quilting Magazines-GRRRR!!!!

Old 09-06-2010, 08:22 AM

I agree. At $7.00 plus for these magazines I am not going to buy and then find out there is nothing in it that I am interested in. Ruth
Old 09-06-2010, 08:28 AM

I just went through all my mags and took out the projects that interested me. I have started a couple of 3 ring binders with tabs and now I can actually find the patterns I may want to make. I took the leftover mags to our quilt guild and they were gone in a few minutes. We love to share and are all looking for a good deal. I have noticed that so many of the mags have such strange colors that I have to concentrate on only the pattern to see the possibilities. I have dropped many and now use the internet quilt shows as I have found if I wait long enough I can find a good price for membership and the classes are less and available at my odd schedule. Also I can see them more than once to refresh my memory.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:29 AM

Oh, I think they're wrapped in plastic to keep you from flipping through them. It's kind of the "grab bag" approach to marketing. What bugs the heck out of me is that the ones I receive at home are wrapped in plastic too, and it's not recycleable. I just hate throwing that plastic away. I write to the editors of all magazines that do that and ask them not to. Maybe if everyone got on a letter-writing campaign we could get them to change their ways--or at least use recycleable plastic. How difficult can it be?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:29 AM

So far only F&P are in plastic. I don't subscribe to any anymore even tho' the cost would make it worth it, but now I don't even buy anymore. I've got four or five binders packed with stuff I've just tore out from all the other mags I've gotten over the past 4 years. I'd get just about every quilt magazine I could find to buy and not only was it expensive but took up far too much space for me.

Wish there was a happy medium as I like to thumb thru them first now.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:44 AM

I am very lucky! Our ways and means committee at our local quilt guild sells used quilting magazines (donated by members) at monthly meetings - you can buy 4 or 6 for $1.00. I love to buy back issues and get new ideas. When I am done with it I donate it back and they sell it again!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:03 AM

Just think of the damage to the environment with all that plastic. I wish more people would think about that as well. I totally agree with you about looking inside before you buy.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:13 AM

I do get some as a subscription and some on the rack, but if WON'T if they're wrapped in plastic. I have a couple times,but was always disappointed in the contents, and I suspect they knew that or they would have let you look inside.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:17 AM

You can browse at Bsarnes & Noble & have a nice latte while you do it. Since they have added calorie counts to all the cakes in the NYC stores, it is less fattening!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:18 AM

You can browse at Barnes & Noble & have a nice latte while you do it. Since they have added calorie counts to all the cakes in the NYC stores, it is less fattening!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:34 AM

I'm old-fashioned and really love books and magazines, especially old ones. But after getting back into quilting and expecting to find magazines that were filled with great patterns and pictures of quilts to inspire me, I am rather disappointed. They all seem to have pictures of nearly the same quilts (the same fabrics and colors, anyway), and pages and pages of ads. I can understand the cost of producing a magazine must be high, but if one has to sacrifice the magazine content just to produce it, it doesn't seem worth it. I think I'm not going to subscribe to any now that I've seen what little there is inside.