Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting placemats.... >

Quilting placemats....

Quilting placemats....

Old 08-10-2013, 09:45 AM

It's good to know you're not giving up on these beautiful placemats! The main advantage to doing the binding separately is that it will be doubled and will hold up longer. Since placemats need to be washed frequently, that might be especially important. Also, I think it's often easier to just do the separate binding that to do the planning and trimming that is needed for the other method. I've done them both ways, and that's just my opinion. It doesn't save fabric to fold the back over because you have to allow extra in case it pulls in too much during quilting. There is an excellent binding tutorial on Youtube. Search there for "Binding the Angel" by Sharon Schamber.

Welcome to QB! I hope you enjoy quilting for many years to come.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:24 PM

You did a beautiful job! I'd go with quilting it regardless of it not being reversible. I just made some for my BIL and SIL using some fabric with Maryland Blue Crabs, a beautiful blue center and black with red lobsters on the reverse. I kept it very simple and just did evenly spaced lines using a decorative stitch on my machine and they turned out fantastic. My SIL is still raving about them being to nice to use. As for asking questions, that is how we learn and if there was ever a finer bunch of folks to ask they are members of this board.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:06 PM

Beautiful placemat. Great gift.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:26 PM

Wow, thanks for all the positive comments. I worked on it for six or so hours today and I'm pooped. While I was hoping to get them done today, I decided since I've never done binding before, I don't want to rush through it so I'm taking a break. Tomorrow is another day. Besides, I do have some machine embroidery hanging that I need to work on. . I so appreciate the feedback and I will be sure to post the final pics. Overall, I love the progress.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:30 PM

[QUOTE=Rose_P;6226624]It's good to know you're not giving up on these beautiful placemats!

I thought about it Rose_P, but I'm not a quitter so I forged ahead. If they came out awful, I'd keep 'me and start over. I figure if she (recipient) loves them, I'd make matching napkins in the flower pattern. . Thanks for the tip on the binding tutorial. I will check it out!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Shorebird View Post
WELCOME TO THE BOARD!! Hope to see much more from you in the future. Nice job on the placemats. Where in PA are you located?
Mount Bethel....it's near the Delaware Water Gap. It's a very pretty area.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:01 PM

When quilting placemats I usually use flannel or muslin for batting, so they are not too thick - glass tipping when placed on edge etc. I also do not bind, but when the top is finished I cut the muslin and backing to size - same size. Place the top face up, back face down on the top and batting on top. Stitch 1/4 inch seams all the way around, leaving an opening to turn. Then turn, press and edge stitch all the way around (1/16 "?). Press again and quilt.
This is probably more than you want, but just thought it might be helpful.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Maggieloe! Perhaps I will try that for the next set.