Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilting placemats....

Blog Entries

Question Quilting placemats....

Hi everyone,

i need some assistance. Lets keep in mind that I'm a complete newbie at this and I wish I knew the answer, but I just don't and today, I'm not so afraid to admit that! LOL. Yesterday was a different story! When doing the actual quilting part of placemats, do I quilt it with the backing on (not reversible) or with just the top and the batting? It's a gift and I want it to look nice, but I can't figure out which is "right". The placemats are patchwork with a border. I'd post a pic, but I can't figure out how to do that. LOL. I thought I did, but I don't see it.....anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much! Yeah, the picture worked!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Go ahead and quilt it with the backing on it. It doesn't matter if it is reversible or not! Beautiful fabrics!

Welcome to the board!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

You make a 'sandwich' of top, batting, and backing, and baste/glue/pin or whatever --thoroughly-- so it stays firmly together, and start quilting. (Binding comes after.) If you nose around the site, you'll find discussions of how to glue etc, and how to quilt by machine or hand. However, if you're going to use the pillowcase method instead of adding a separate binding or bringing the back around to the front, the order of events is a little different. Somebody here will contribute instructions, or you can PM me. ... nanibi

Blog Entries
    I was planning on bringing a burgundy fabric from the back around to the front. But I do have enough fabric to do a separate binding....

Blog Entries
    Glad that you got over your shyness about asking questions here. Everyone is so helpful!

For a "newbie", I must say that your points match up very well Your choice of fabric is beautiful! Whoever these placemats are for is one lucky person. Keep up the good work.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    Go ahead and quilt it with the backing on it. It doesn't matter if it is reversible or not! Beautiful fabrics!

Welcome to the board!
    Thank you! I love these fabrics too and as a new quilter, I was soooo happy that they matched so well. It took me a few months to trust my judgment on choosing fabrics that matched well enough, in my opinion, to try something. I know, funny right? This is my first attempt at placemats.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
    Glad that you got over your shyness about asking questions here. Everyone is so helpful!

For a "newbie", I must say that your points match up very well Your choice of fabric is beautiful! Whoever these placemats are for is one lucky person. Keep up the good work.
    Wow, thanks so much for your kind encouragement, Pinkiris....I've only made this and a baby quilt so far, but I'm loving it. I find it very relaxing. I love the fabric as well!

Blog Entries
    I love your fabrics and you did a great job!! I am glad there were no pics of my first try.......certainly would not have been that pretty!!

Welcome to the board and always ask...this is the most gracious group of talented people who love to help! I am amazed at what I learn everyday getting the board.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the board! Anything anyone needs to know the answer to about quilting or just about anything else for that matter, they will get the answer here!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
    I love your fabrics and you did a great job!! I am glad there were no pics of my first try.......certainly would not have been that pretty!!
    The fabrics are a big hit! And to think, I second guessed myself in the store....but I kept coming back to the flowered fabric. I hope the person who will be getting them will agree. I think she will. .

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone!

Hello, and welcome to the board. You did a beautiful job matching the points, and in you fabric choice.

I have that fabric, just love it. Your work is really great!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lovequilting22 View Post
    I was planning on bringing a burgundy fabric from the back around to the front. But I do have enough fabric to do a separate binding....
    Just think of it, as each placemat is a quilt ..... a small one!
    You go thru the process, just the same as a full sized quilt.
    Yes, you can bring the fabric to the front or do a separate binding.
    For me, I prefer the separate binding, as it gives a far nicer finish ... yes, that's only IMHO!!

Your fabrics are pretty and I am sure your intended recipient will be quite impressed with your choices and work!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

As you already have gotten good advice on quilting, just wanted to say your placements look great and welcome!!

Welcome to the board, you did really wll.

Quilting is used to put the back, batting and top together in a permanent manner. You have done a great job

Junior Member Retiredandquilting's Avatar
    I frequently to placemats - I sandwich and pin them, then straight-line quilt diagonally. Then I bind them, as I would a quilt. It makes them reversible, too. Have fun!
    Sue In Bloomfield, NY

Blog Entries
    Great job, love the fabric and welcome to the board

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovequilting22 View Post
    The fabrics are a big hit! And to think, I second guessed myself in the store....but I kept coming back to the flowered fabric. I hope the person who will be getting them will agree. I think she will. .
    Ok, couple things that I think were missed.

You need to have some sort of backing between the batting and the bed of your machine. Otherwise you will have a horrendous mess to clean up or your machine might start having a tantrum! So yes you need a backing of some sort and that is why. (Sorry engineer here, I always need to know WHY I have to do something and it has to make sense or I will do it my own way)

Now couple options you have here:
    1. Cut the backing 1 to 1.5 inches bigger than the front. You need room for everything to "draw up" a bit when you quilt it. I have cut my backing a smidge bigger like just enough to fold to the front and wouldnt you know it ended up much smaller than that....sigh. tis an annoying thing to happen. Once you finish quilting, press the whole sandwich real good, then trim down the left overs with enough to fold over to the front and stitch down.

2. Another option, use a scrap piece of material, anything really, doesnt matter on color just make sure you cant see it through the backing fabric. Then use that for the sandwich backing. Quilt, trim to same size as placemat. Then you put the backing fabric you want to use (right sides together) on the front, stitch all the way around and then turn right side out. This will leave the back free (not stitched down) and does not put an edge on the placemat (that a binding would)

Really depends on the look you want. The second option I use when I dont have enough backing fabric to do bindings etc.

Now to your comment......some fabrics, patterns, colors, quilt designs etc. speak to you. when I have a fabric that speaks like that to me, I get it. Usually those end up being the best quilts!

Congrats on first project and joining the board. HUGS

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the board!! Just sandwich and quilt like you would anything else. It will be great!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook at Leesa's Fabrics

What a pretty placemat! Good work too! Let us see the finished placemats too, please!

Blog Entries
    I really appreciate all of the support! Yesterday, I wanted to quit.....I was feeling that they were good enough to give as a gift, but the friend who will be getting them is very gracious and I know they will mean a lot to her. I have to keep reminding myself that I am just beginning and the Rome wasn't built in a day, right? I'm hoping to post a pic of one completed one today. I've decided to put my own binding on instead of bringing it around from the back. Thanks again for all your kind words! They mean a lot to me as a new quilter!

Power Poster
    Quilt it with the backing on. That is very pretty colors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast