Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A quilting problem. >

A quilting problem.

A quilting problem.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by crafterrn1 View Post
Okay here is the question I need to ask you Judy. Do you put your left hand behind the foot on the machine? If you do then stop. It will stretch the fabric. The other things to do: 1 Use a stiletto to guide the fabric through the foot. 2 gently guide the fabric through the foot. 3 Mark the sewing machine bed with a stack of small post-it notes. Measure 1/4 inch from the needle. Place the post-it notes at the 1/4 inch mark and secure with tape. Make sure to leave the bobbin lid accessible. 5. Slow down. The faster you go the more chance you have to stretch the fabric. yes pinning helps since you have to sew slowly to remove the pins. I hope this helps! Luann
This is excellent advice! Thank you
Old 06-02-2013, 04:08 PM

I agree that doing a lot of ripping and restitching can be one of the worst offenders in causing stretching to occur.

If possible doing the restitching before ripping out can help eliminate a lot of the stretching.

Last edited by mom-6; 06-02-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Pepita View Post
My biggest lesson has been to cut your strips from the width of the fabric not selvage to selvage. Selvage to selvage stretches--a lot. Not as much as bias, but enough to make your quilt wonky.
I've been putting together my latest BOM applique, and since I hand dyed the fabric, most of it is in more or less 1 yard sizes. Somethings (settings)work like that and some are going to work like that!

Best of luck!
Pepita, I think you meant "cut your strips from the LENGTH of the fabric" because selvage to selvage is the width of the fabric. And Length does work well for me!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN View Post
Starch first, then starch again. Especially if you have bias edges in your block. Keep at it, you will get it
My quilting buddy (and many others) loves starch, I can't stand it.

Accuracy is key. Accurately cut the pieces. Accurately line up the pieces. Accurately stitch 1/4" seam. Let the machine (not your finger) do the walking (use a walking foot if the top piece is slipping forward). Some machines have dual feed-use it.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:35 PM

Sometimes we think we're doing everything we're told.

"A picture's worth a thousand words." Watch a tutorial and compare their pictures to what you're doing.

In a flash, experienced people can watch us and recognize what is the problem. Take a beginner class or two and have the instructor watch you.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:32 PM

You can also check the presser foot thingy on top of the machine. It may be too loose. Most of the time the ones I buy[vintage machines] it is too tight tho'.