Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting problem and Warm & Natural batting >

Quilting problem and Warm & Natural batting

Quilting problem and Warm & Natural batting

Old 02-05-2017, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Friday1961 View Post
Thanks, everyone!

It's encouraging to know that you all agree that it is quilt drag. Although I've never experienced this with poly batting, I am now certain that's what it is with the heavier W&N. I do love this batting; it's so uniform and even and love the way it looks in the sandwich. But it is denser and heavier.

I've thought of the pulley system I've read about, but my first priority is a table for this machine. I absolutely hate that it is not recessed since my other machines have always been in a cabinet. I will arrange something more in front of the machine to prevent the drag , although I do bunch it up, not just have it falling down into my lap. And will find something for the left side. My dining table is large but it is oval so a support extension along the left will help.

To Tartan: I thought of that little bar, too, and checked, but the walking foot is installed correctly. Still, I may take it off and put it on again just to make sure it is not part of the problem.

I so appreciate ALL your advice and encouragement. This board is wonderful for that! It's why I brought this problem here! ;-)
I have a suggestion for supporting your quilt on the left side....an ironing board. I just sit mine perpendicular to the edge of the desk I use for my sewing machine, which also sits on top an isn't built in. An ironing board is adjustable too, so I can get the exact height I want. Works just fine. In fact, I recently bought a second ironing board for just this purpose. You might give it a try. Cheap fix...

Dina
Old 02-05-2017, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

You might want to consider using a suspension system for your quilt. Here is a link to a commercially available one, although there are directions online for constructing your own from PVC:
http://www.jennoop.com/suspenders.html
A suspension system prevents drag on the quilt and takes up less floor space than extra tables.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:36 AM

So sorry this is "causing you fits". As many others have said, it is likely the drag on the quilt and not the batting. Warm and Natural is my favorite and "go to" batting for my work and I do not have this problems. Now, that said I have an older machine but it just flies over my work with little problems except those created by me and my own skill level. Try supporting your quilt as suggest and I bet you will like the results.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:37 AM

There was another one of these quilt holders at the Madison Wisconsin quilt expo last year. It was of plastic piping supported by a square of the plastic piping on the floor. Took up almost no space and was placed around your sewing machine table. I can't remember the name of it right now, but it cost about $250.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:29 AM

I've had the same problem with warm and natural batting, Switched to a bamboo/cotton blend or silk and cotton blend with no issues. I wish I could offer you a solution, but I can't.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:48 AM

I have an old fashioned ironing board with legs that are not adjustable. I prefer it over those adjustable ones which don't feel steady to me. But I think it will work, anyway; it won't matter that it's a little higher than the table.

I dare not buy an adjustable board just for this purpose because I have no place to store it. I now have to consider everything I bring into my house: is there a place for it?
Old 02-06-2017, 05:37 PM

I agree with others on here, it is drag on the quilt. I use warm and natural all the time with no problem.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:31 PM

Oh, I just went to this site and looked at the video on this product. My hubby has a medium arm quilting machine but this would be great for me at the sewing machine when I have smaller quilts to take care of like the table runners, etc. Although, my hubby is a natural at quilting although he has only done two smaller projects. I could probably do the baby quilts on my regular sewing machine with these. And, I was just reading a post stating a person heard about a pulley type thing to help with quilting and just a couple of posts later, I see your post here. How coincidental is that? And, just when I was running out of ideas of what to purchase next!! lol Thank you ever so much for your post!!