Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting - Purpose? >

Quilting - Purpose?

Quilting - Purpose?

Old 07-31-2011, 06:57 PM

Mine are made with love and ment to be used.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

I quilt because it's fun! Crafty things are my "therapy", so I am enjoying myself. I love to make things for others! :)
Old 07-31-2011, 07:11 PM

The first purpose to my quilting is mental therapy. While I am sewing, time flies by and all the stress of the day is gone. Secondly, I enjoy the challenge of quilting, it's the first craft that I return to over and over again. Third, I love to give my quilts away...to family and donate to Riley Children's Hospital in Indy. Giving them the needy kids is also therapy for me...I feel like I am giving something back to the people who saved my husbands life. And finally fourth, This is something I can do all by myself, from start to finish, and call it mine if I so choose!
Old 08-02-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Relaxation and fun with the end-goal in mind (all of my quilts have somebody's name on it before I start).
Mine, also. "Every stitch a prayer" is my motto. I spend some time (sometimes days or weeks) meditating on the person for whom I'm making the quilt before I begin. Once when having trouble trying to envision what to make for a favorite niece I finally asked her to find fabric she really liked and send it to me. Suddenly I knew what to do for her, and even used some of the fabric she sent in the quilt.

For the ones that I've done for raffles or charity I keep in mind the purpose (and the recipients). My quilts for Japan after the recent awful earthquake were made with constant thoughts (prayers) for the people who were suffering so. We do what we can and as quilters we are luckty it is usually really appreciated.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:35 AM

to keep my sanity very relaxing .even if I run into problems i'm in my own world. quilts are to be used. someday maybe i'll make my show piece quilt but that is a dream away. i give them to my children so they will have something to remember me by and that i love them.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:38 AM

My quilts would never make it in a show either. So because it relaxes me and excites me I make them for fun. Most of my quilts are gifts but sometimes I'll make some for me, most of those go in the hope chest though
Old 08-03-2011, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
A question out of curiosity: what is your main purpose when you make a quilt? Is it meant for daily use? For quilt shows? For decoration in your house? Or just because it's fun?
Because it's fun, then I have to do something with them,as I have all I can use, so they go to Project Linus.

:)