Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting a queen size with a smaller throat? >

quilting a queen size with a smaller throat?

quilting a queen size with a smaller throat?

Old 06-21-2010, 07:27 AM

I'm preparing to quilt my 2nd quilt. It's a queen size. My machine is the Pfaff Classic Quilt, 1527, throat size is 6 3/4 long x 4 1/2 tall. Is it possible with this size throat? I skimmed a article about quilting in section but I cant find it now. The batting will be low loft cotton/poly 80/20. I'm going to do a meander all over.
Should I quilt in sections, go for the whole quilt or buy a machine with a bigger throat? kidding about the machine for this quilt. But I'm going to start researching machines.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:05 AM

I usually start from the center and branch out from there. This way I start with the hardest part of the quilt and from there on it will only get easier. Don't roll the quilt, just bunch it in the threat. It will be easier. Remember to breath and stop to rest if it gets too heavy.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:11 AM

I would recommend that you do it in sections.
Put a little more than 1/3 of your batting in the middle of the top and bottom and sandwich as you usually do. Quilt that section to within a couple inches of the end of the batting. Add your next 1/3 section to one side and sandwich that. Don't overlap the batting, butt them together. I spray baste the edges as well as I can and then quilt that section and do the final 1/3.
It's much easier to work with in that small a throat.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:12 AM

I've also found that bunching it up works better for me. You get so caught up in keeping it rolled "just right" that you waste more time doing that than actually quilting. And like Maride, I like to get the hardest parts out of the way first.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:46 PM

susiequilt-I had always thought quilting in sections meant doing 3 separate sections - top,batting,bottom and then joining all the seams (hope this can be understood) to end up with a whole quilt.
I certainly like your plan of having the whole top & bottom, but just partial batting and adding as you go along. I have a queen top that I did a few years ago and really didn't know how I was going to quilt it without a huge headache! Thank you thank you! This way never occurred to me!
Old 06-21-2010, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

I have quilted a queen size quilt on my regular machine. It is harder than if you have a larger throat machine but it can be done. I started in the middle and worked out. I just draped my quilt. Didn't roll it. Something that helped my a lot was quilting gloves. I bought my first pair from Fons and Porters buy found that gardening gloves with the bumps on them work just a well. Good luck and have fun.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:50 PM

I agree with Susiequilt. I did a queensized one that same way...in thirds. It worked out great, much easier to fit into the throat, and lighter to deal with. I had forgotten about that method when I did a full sized one last week! Wasn't there an article in the Quilted Paradise Magazine on this last week or so? Good luck! You can do it!!
Old 06-25-2010, 02:04 AM
Google Goddess

let us know how you get along
Old 06-27-2010, 03:36 PM

I quilted allot of it this weekend. I was able to handle it all in one piece. The batting must be thin because it was easier to handle than the lap quilt I did. I really had a fun time quilting this one. I was left at a campground by myself for one day. I plug my machine into the trailer. Covered the picnic table with table cloths and quilted in the sun surrounded by trees. I might call this quilt, "Summer Vacation 2010" Since I'm trying to finish it for our 17 day summer vacation, camping in Idaho.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:14 AM

Here is a picture of the work in progress. I really enjoyed my self. The lighting was perfect!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-85995.jpe