Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting retreat advice needed >

Quilting retreat advice needed

Quilting retreat advice needed

Old 09-22-2015, 03:40 PM

I bring my electric massager as I get stiff from sitting and power sewing. I also like some little chocolate treats to reward myself as I work on things especially ufos that I have postponed for some reason. I bring head phones in case I want to listen to an audio book for awhile also.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:45 PM

Bring a pillow or seat cushion for your .... bum or your back! You never know how low or how high the chairs will be. A lint brush so you don't go out in public looking like you just spent time at a quilt retreat! I always take water, and snacks that please my diet. I also take some time. Yes, I go for a walk, to get the back in order again after sitting so long. Bring a smile, a bag of patience and a jar basket of compliments to share with others.

I prefer to pre-cut just one project and work from beginning to end. I may bring a small second project but seldom work on it. I learned not to bring 5 projects. I just don't get them done. It feels sooooo good to step in to the site ready to go and walk out with a finished piece. But that is my way of doing things. It also keeps me focused and I pack lighter.

Someone else mentioned fan and sweater to fit your comfort level..... oh so important. I also bring socks because I am a barefoot quilter and those tootsies can get cold in a new environment.

Just enjoy it all. A retreat has always been a good experience for me and those in my guild. Quilt on girl! Let us know how it goes for you.

Oh, I just looked at someone else's post and it reminded me. I so enjoy a book on cd or what every while I sew. Good idea Pagzz! I get mine from the local library and enjoy, enjoy.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 09-22-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:57 PM

I've only gone to one retreat, but I found it really handy to have my little tool tote bag with lots of little pockets to sit on the table near at hand with all my small supplies in it. Also, a small battery powered Ott light right by my machine on the table. Oh, and my bestest friend. We were college roommates, and it was one big slumber party after not spending time together for years and years.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:21 PM

The wisdom and sharing on this board is soooo helpful. I feel like I will be well prepared for the retreat after reading the advice provided from all of you. I just might need a bus to haul it all. �� Thank you. Can't wait til Friday
Old 09-22-2015, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
Have an extension card available. It is also handy to have a small iron and ironing pad you can put next to your spot, if there is room. The retreat will probably have full-sized irons and boards available, but having one right next to you saves a lot of getting up and down. Bring some starch or sizing for pressing too.
I would give the opposite advice. When sewing for long periods of time, we NEED to be doing a lot of getting up and down. It gives the spine a big break and helps you continue sewing for longer, comfortably. So chain piece your stuff, then walk it all across the room and press at a pressing station. You need some standing time after a while of sitting.

You also get to smile and speak to people and see what they are doing, while you are up and about. Bonus!
Old 09-23-2015, 02:53 AM

Yesterday I posted a reply (see reply#15). There was a comment about getting projects done. Sometimes I get some quilt tops completed to finish off at home. However, I do not sweat about getting things done, smile. I just do it and get surprised by how much I have done.😀😀😀. Just enjoy your retreat! Have fun!
Old 09-23-2015, 06:57 AM

Bring a coffee cup (if you drink hot drinks) and a water bottle that will not spill if knocked over. These are 2 things that are top of my list. IF you are sharing tables....you don't want someone's drink spilled on your project. Your own chair.
If you are taking your vehicle I put extra cash in an extra wallet under the seat for safe keeping. Sometimes if there isn't any place to spend money at the retreat....I just leave my wallet in the car. Those are the only things I can think of that weren't mentioned. Have Fun!!!
Old 09-23-2015, 11:44 AM

I have never been to a retreat either but it sure sounds fun. One of these days I'll go I'm sure, if I find one closer to home. This is all good info for future use. Have fun this weekend!
Old 09-23-2015, 03:57 PM

I usually bring several projects. CHeck to be sure you have everything you need for your project. I often leave an extra project or 2 in my car in case I get a lot accomplished or forget something for a quilt. Have fun.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:13 PM

sweater, slippers, favorite sewing chair from home, light for top of table, extension cords, snacks, coffee mug, water cup, paper bag to catch snippets, painters tape to hang the bag, address book or i-phone - you will make new friends to keep in contact with,pattern names of your projects - someone will always ask,not too many projects. My last one, retreat, I was working on a red and white log cabin for my best friends mother as a mothers day gift, that is all I worked on for 1 solid week. They should provide a list for you as well, most of all have a wonderful time, sew and make new friends...