Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting retreats >

Quilting retreats

Quilting retreats

Old 09-20-2010, 08:08 PM

I'm putting a question out for those who have attended quilting retreats. How much did you pay and what was included? How long does the activity usually last? I've never been to one but after reading the Elm Creek series I'm very interested! Share your experiences if you would please?
Old 09-20-2010, 08:11 PM

I've never been to one either but I love the Elm Creek books so I want to go too!!! I hope you find a good one and share the info.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Google Goddess

I haven't been to one before but some of us ladies from Indiana is thinking of trying to get one set up for anyone who wants to come from this site

lots of planning ahead

also we need to start a thread to find out what quilt board members would be interested in teaching classes!

Craftybear

I just surfed and found some information that you could use as some guidelines etc.

http://www.besewcreative.com/retreat_schedule.htm

also this site looks cool

http://quiltinginvermont.stronghouseinn.com/

Originally Posted by KarenBarnes
I'm putting a question out for those who have attended quilting retreats. How much did you pay and what was included? How long does the activity usually last? I've never been to one but after reading the Elm Creek series I'm very interested! Share your experiences if you would please?
Old 09-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KarenBarnes
I used to attend the wondercut retreats when I could afford it. Their price included 5 meals, snacks, bottled water, soda, and usually 3 kits. They have fabric to sell, so that if you want a larger quilt you can purchase more fabric. Their schedule is from 1:00 pm Friday until around 8:00 p.m./ all day Saturday/, and until noon on Sunday--two times a year. I really enjoyed it, but being in the poor farm now I cannot attend. Sometimes I will call and they let me come and help others that are new to the rulers, and I also like to press for them. I also make a quilt for each retreat that is given to foster kids in the area. I am working on a UFO right now and when I have the top finished I will post it. It is one of the wondercut patterns from a reatreat.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:23 PM

I would love to go to a retreat, but I too can't afford any extras right now.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:27 PM
Google Goddess

found this quilters retreat guide site (listed by states)

http://creabunda.typepad.com/quilters_retreat_director/
Old 09-20-2010, 08:38 PM

We just had our yearly Quilt Guild Quilt Retreat the end of April. From Fri - 5 PM to Sun- 1 PM, all meals provided by the lodge. So, two nights, Sat and Sun. brunch, Sat. dinner. for $85.00. We have brought our own meals and prepared them also, which cuts down on the cost, but then you have to stop sewing to fix meals too. We decided that paying for the meals were worth it! We have our Retreats at Crooked Creek Christian Camp. Located just south of Washington, IA. It is a lovely place to be. All on one floor, however we have also rented the lower level too. Lovely wooded area with trails to take a break and go for a walk.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:46 PM

I paid $175 for logding and food the only thing is it is a UFO weekend no new stuff. I happen to like that I have yet to go to one that has classes. I just missed one in my area I have the shop bookmarked so I can get notices for future ones!!
Old 09-20-2010, 09:21 PM

I just signed up for my first one to be held in October. It was $220 for all meals, programs and one free half day class for two nights. Friday - Sunday. You have to pay for any other classes and have a supply list sent to you. Cant wait! They have a challenge project, quilt square challenge and fun clothing things. Will post afterwards.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:26 PM

I've been going to retreat for 8 years now. Cost is $250 for Friday, Saturday and Sunday -- meals included, twin beds some 2 to a room up to 6 to a room. Wonderful woodsy setting. 2 sewing buildings with 30 quilters in each. We have a party block where you make one and can win a bunch as well as a general real easy block where you make 60 of the same and go home with 60 different. A charity relay - takes about 20 minutes. Lots of prizes and give-aways. We bring goodies to share, have marguerita happy hour. Sometimes we have massages -- hands, arms and neck for $1 a minute. $5 gives you heaven.
Always have a fabulous time and look forward to every January! Interested? Drop me a PM.