Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting in Sections >

Quilting in Sections

Quilting in Sections

Old 01-03-2007, 08:03 AM

Diana

Also go to this site and look into it. (www.quiltuniversity.com) I think you mite find some things you may be interested in Just trying to help
Old 01-03-2007, 04:18 PM

No worries, right now I am like a sponge -- trying to soak up everything in site to make a better quilt. I will take any advise you are willing to give. I appreciate it. :)
Old 01-04-2007, 07:58 PM

Hi Becky,

The names of the books I got from Amazon.com are "Divide & Conquer! Quilt it your Way by Nancy Smith & Lynda Milligan, and Block by Block, New Techniques for Machine Quilting & Assembly by Beth Donaldson. There is also another one which looks very good called Quilting in Sections by Michele Marti and Reversible Quilts: 2 @ a Time by Sharon Pederson and she has a new one out called More Reversible Quilts.

Boy, there are so many good books out there on this procedure...I'd love to have them all! Will buy them one at a time or else I'll go broke!! I will also look up the book by Ms. Cotton and see what it is all about.

I'm thinking this is going to be a lot more fun than the usual way of making quilt tops and trying to fit that whole mess put together in that little bitty area in a regular sewing machine. Makes you want to save your pennies and buy a long-arm quilting machine but I'm not going to hold my breath for that one!!

Nice talking with you...Norma

Old 01-04-2007, 08:13 PM

Hi, again, Becky,

You were asking why certain kind of batting had to be used. The book I mentioned previously, Reversible Quilts by Sharon Pederson, has a section she wrote about preferred batting for these types of quilts. She prefers Hobbs Heirloom cotton and polyester which is 80% ctn., and 20% poly. She uses this kind for heavy or stiple quilting because it will stay put easier and is also has a little more bulk to it than just 100% ctn. For minimal quilting, 8-10" apart, she uses Hobbs Organic Cotton w/Scrim which is a fine layer attached to the cotton that helps it keep its shape better and has a little more bulk than just 100% ctn. She always presoaks and dries on low heat. She said she never uses 100% poly. batting because you have to baste it or it will shift in your machine while quilting and won't stay put with safety pins.

If you get on Amazon.com, you can bring up her book and it allows you to read sections of it that are really interesting and informative.

Bye, again, Norma
Old 01-05-2007, 02:02 AM

Norma

Thanks so much for your reply and info, I will check it out,Happy quilting.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:12 AM

Norma .
Was reading what you said about the books I think I'll check them out also.

Also saw what you said about the long arm machine. I got my Juki TL98QE a lot sooner than I though.
Every time I bought something at the store I would break a bill, at the end of the day I dumped all the change in a jar. You'd be suprised how fast it adds up.

I love my machine stll getting use to it but love it.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:29 AM

I think I will head for the local library, some of the books mentioned are available. We have a feature that allows you to check availably and have them ready when you get there.
I want to start a new project and thinking of a sunbonnet sue, any words of wisdom; machine stiching or hand?
Old 01-05-2007, 01:40 PM

Hi Ruthie,

Quilt in a Day's Eleanor Burns has a wonderful book (if you don't have it already!) on making a Sunbonnet Sue and Overalls Sam quilt. You can find it on the QIAD website. She also has lots of tools and notions, books, etc. for sale that are great and less than lots of stores I have visited.

Let me know how your quilt turns out. I have been thinking of trying one out, also. I'm taking a class in beginning applique in March, so maybe that's where I'll go to make my next quilt!

What a wonderful idea for saving for a long-arm. I'll have to find a pretty big jug!! What kind do you have?

Happy Quilting to you, too!

Norma
Old 01-05-2007, 03:18 PM

I used a big pickle jar . when it got half full I started rolling. Could't belive how much chage you have in a month. Remember you never spend the change always break a bill, Even if you only spending 25 cents.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:03 AM

Hi Norma,
Iam new here and read this article, I would be very interested in the title of these books and the authors names, I am diabled and this sounds like the quiting way for me.
Thank you for telling us about it.
Fondly, Gloria

PS... I found page two :D and see you've already posted what I needed and more..thank you I'm off to check them out..