Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting/Sewing Idiosyncrasies >

Quilting/Sewing Idiosyncrasies

Quilting/Sewing Idiosyncrasies

Old 11-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
In a way I do the opposite, once I finish a seam and I am not sure if I have enough thread to make it to another end I take the remaining thread off the bobbin and rewind it fresh. I know, I know I waste thread but I guess it is just a small part of my OCD. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :oops:
:D That is so funny to me, bc MY ocd-ivity makes me "have" to use up that last bit, and not waste it. It has never, ever occurred to me, to take the thread off, and go ahead and refill the bobbin...EVER! who knew?
guess, not me :roll: :lol:
I am so compulsive about not wasting, that some times if I snip a thread and it is extra long, I go ahead and put it in one of the needles I keep threaded and in a pin cushion hanging on my pegboard. This is very convenient when I need to secure a button real quick. I have darks and lights, right there. :D
(p.s. the threads that are not 'extra long'...go in an ice cream bucket right beside me, to be used for stuffing things. I compulsively had to share that,...couldn't waste a tip :wink: )
Old 11-08-2009, 01:46 AM
Banned

That is so funny--I have done all of these things....except the thread saving..I do it with batting and everything else ...but have not saved any thread...maybe this is why we share ideas so we can spread our habits! :wink:
Old 11-08-2009, 02:35 AM
Administrator

my machine nags me half to death when the bobbin thread is low. drives me crazy, and doesn't have a "SHUT UP ALREADY, I KNOW" button. :lol:

when i'm being sensible, i take out the bobbin as soon as the machine starts complaining. later, i use the last of it as top thread.

when i'm being as stubborn as the machine, i press the "yeah, yeah, whatever" button over and over and over again so i can sew until it runs out at the bottom.

surely that doesn't count as an idiosyncracy.

does it? :shock:
Old 11-08-2009, 03:56 AM

In a way I do the opposite, once I finish a seam and I am not sure if I have enough thread to make it to another end I take the remaining thread off the bobbin and rewind it fresh. I know, I know I waste thread but I guess it is just a small part of my OCD.
I do this too.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
In a way I do the opposite, once I finish a seam and I am not sure if I have enough thread to make it to another end I take the remaining thread off the bobbin and rewind it fresh. I know, I know I waste thread but I guess it is just a small part of my OCD. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :oops:
Me too!!!! Except, I hate to sit and unwind and unwind and.... so I have a bunch of bobbins with not enough thread to sit down and sew without having to change the darn thing. I keep waiting for the quilting elves to come and take care of this problem, but they never do.
I seem to things opposite of what most others do. I wonder if it has anything to do with being left handed?? :? :? :?
Old 11-08-2009, 05:23 AM

Gee I thought I was the only one who had strrrrrange happenings...oooooooooo. Wow I'm normal or sew it seams.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:32 AM

I'm so glad that I found this forum :D you guys are so funny.

I've run out of bobbin thread while merrily sewing along when attaching a border to a quilt. When I get to the end of the seam and I go to cut the thread that is when I notice that there is NO bobbin thread :roll:

How about when you 'know' that you are going to be running out of bobbin thread and you obsessively watch the seam, while you are sewing, to see the 'exact' moment that you run out.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
my machine nags me half to death when the bobbin thread is low. drives me crazy, and doesn't have a "SHUT UP ALREADY, I KNOW" button. :lol:
My machine must be a slow learner 'cause it never says anything like that and it's over 45 years old. I, on the other hand, do say things when bobbin runs out midseam. No, it's not "Oh, you naughty bobbin." I often check bobbin thread and guess whether I have enough to finish (not always correctly, tho). When I refill it, I only wind as much on bobbin as I think I'll need, especially when it's not a color I use often. The thread I remove gets wound around a small folded piece of cardboard or paper and saved for hand sewing. Can't waste good thread!
Old 11-08-2009, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

OK...I'll admit that I do tend to save those little scraps of fabric that you snip off like when you are sewing binding or borders together...those triangles and of course all small squares. I use them as "leaders" so my real sewing doesn't get all eaten up when I start to sew...I toss them all in a little scrap catcher that has now grown to an overflowing monster.

I was thinking last night that I might need to save ALL my trimmings...couldn't I then cut them up further into tiny bits and use them somehow in my new found fun technique of shadow trapunto????

I know...sick, just plain sick.... :roll:
Old 11-08-2009, 06:05 AM

I've not noticed myself doing anything like that while sewing. I suppose I'm still concentration too hard on doing the sewing right to do those silly things. That being said, I once realized that every time I step on the scale I suck in my stomach. Jeeze! As if sucking in your stomach makes you weigh less.