Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting & Sewing Tips >

Quilting & Sewing Tips

Quilting & Sewing Tips

Old 02-01-2010, 11:21 AM

Okay, I'll submit an idea I use a lot

Iron a piece of freezer paper to the press board or ironing board before a project using fusible appliques or other glue type applications. It will protect your board and peel right off when finished.

If you get any "glue" on your iron, it is easy to get off with a new unused dryer sheet. Take a couple paper towels and place the dryer sheet at one end, with the iron hot press over the dryer sheet and then over onto the paper towels. The "stuff" in the dryer sheet will release the glue on the iron and as you pass the iron over the paper towels the iron becomes clean!
Old 02-01-2010, 12:50 PM

Since I have to take medication the rest of my life, I have a gazillion perscription bottles. I rinse them and then use them:

To store broken needles
To carry needles and/or pins to class
To sort and store buttons
To carry bobbins to class
To hold several pre-wound bobbins for quilting or class
To hold or carry anything little that usually gets lost in that back
corner of the drawers or boxes.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:21 PM

I will have to remember these tips! Great idea for the ironing board, thanks

Iron a piece of freezer paper to the press board or ironing board before a project using fusible appliques or other glue type applications. It will protect your board and peel right off when finished.

If you get any "glue" on your iron, it is easy to get off with a new unused dryer sheet. Take a couple paper towels and place the dryer sheet at one end, with the iron hot press over the dryer sheet and then over onto the paper towels. The "stuff" in the dryer sheet will release the glue on the iron and as you pass the iron over the paper towels the iron becomes clean![/quote]
Old 02-01-2010, 06:33 PM

Thanks so much for your help removing starch gunk on my iron. I think most of my problem was that I was spraying & then immediately trying to iron it dry without letting it soak in or dry completely. MESSY!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:57 PM

I store my old needles in prescription bottle it works great ! It will take a long while for it to fill up.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Power Poster

To store old pins and needles to be discarded, I use an empty pill bottle.

To help you see the hole in the needle when threading, put a white piece of paper or fabric behind the needle, you can see the hole better.

Use a plastic scraper to scrape the glue off your applique pressing sheet.

glue a piece of non slip rubber (for rugs) to an empty TP roll to wind your binding on. Run a piece of ribbon thru the hole and hang around your neck.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Google Goddess

This tip from swimergirl

Yesterday I used a piece of freezer paper, ironed on the wrong side of my material to stabilize it, so I could write on it.
When I took the paper off I laid it on a book (not on purpose) and saw it was almost totally transparent....I am always looking for paper to trace cute or neat things in magazines or the newspaper for ideas...great art work there. So this freezer paper can be used after you have used it as a stabilizer. Yes I know I could buy tracing paper but I thought this might be a penny saver for some of us....hope someone will find this useful info......hugs SG

swimer girl

I copied the above tip from Swimer girl that she posted, nice tip!!!
Old 03-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Google Goddess

Does anyone else have any quilting or sewing tips for us to all enjoy! If so please post them here so we can all enjoy!
Old 03-16-2010, 02:47 PM

The best tip I've heard lately is to cut your batting scraps to fit your swifter. Don't remember who posted that awhile back,but it works great.
I use an empty plastic baby food container for my used needles and bent pins, an altoides container for my used rotary blades.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Google Goddess

Thanks for sharing the tip.

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
The best tip I've heard lately is to cut your batting scraps to fit your swifter. Don't remember who posted that awhile back,but it works great.
I use an empty plastic baby food container for my used needles and bent pins, an altoides container for my used rotary blades.