Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilting & Sewing Tips

Blog Entries
    Hi,

I am a beginner quilter and thought this would be a fun thread to have on the board so we can share quilting and sewing tips.

Blog Entries
    I was hemming my hubby bib overalls. I used the rotary cutter and mat to cut them off by 3 inches was so much faster than using scissors.

Also while hemming them on machine I broke 2 needles. I was trying to figure out what I could use to store the broken needles until I got them to the trash.

I found this plastic needle case and works great to store in the sewing machine drawer.

Enjoy!

Plastic Needle case
    Name:  Attachment-39679.jpe
Views: 28
Size:  5.5 KB

Blog Entries
    Another cool thing to recycle to store your needles etc. in is a mentos chewing gum plastic case. Also can use it for a traveling sewing case to store your needles and thread that you use. This would be cute covered with fabric to make it more fashionable!

mentos case
    Name:  Attachment-39904.jpe
Views: 30
Size:  6.2 KB

Blog Entries
    Please other quilters reading this, please post your tips so we can all enjoy!

Karen

I use an old piece of batting to layout my blocks pieces before sewing them together. Keeps the pieces from blowing away...:)

I have a friend who is a dental assistant, she brought me a small sharps container, (dr offices use them to put used needles in). it is in my cubboard and all my used rotary blades, needles and pins go in it. I think it may last my lifetime:)

Blog Entries
    awesome tip, thanks for sharing

I use a pill bottle for used needles. I have a small bulletin board above my sewing desk for the current pattern I'm using and business cards from shops I've been to, pictures, a color wheel, conversion charts, etc.

Suz
    Regarding the breaking of needles while hemming jeans, etc. It is important to keep the pressure foot level. In my tools box, there is a item referred to as a "hump jumer". Each end has a different thickness. When approaching the seam and the toes of the pressure foot at leaning upward, slip ther jumper under the rear of the foot thus leveling the foot; carefully take a few stitches; then move the jumper to the front of the toes when they drop downward and carefully stitch past the seam. If you don't have a jumper, use a ruler.

Hope this helps to avoid those broken needles. Suzanne

Blog Entries
    Hi,

Wow, thanks for the tip! I was getting so aggravated but better to sew with machine than by hand.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Suz
    Regarding the breaking of needles while hemming jeans, etc. It is important to keep the pressure foot level. In my tools box, there is a item referred to as a "hump jumer". Each end has a different thickness. When approaching the seam and the toes of the pressure foot at leaning upward, slip ther jumper under the rear of the foot thus leveling the foot; carefully take a few stitches; then move the jumper to the front of the toes when they drop downward and carefully stitch past the seam. If you don't have a jumper, use a ruler.

another tip, I mentioned on another topic.

measure left over pieces of batting and pin a piece of paper with the size on the batting.

Blog Entries
    Wow, I just found this cool link with tons of tips, enjoy!

http://www.blockcentral.com/tips.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Suz

When I worked at the dry cleaners we had a hammer we just pounded those seams with. Works great. I would do it outside on the front steps though so you wouldn't damage anything.

This is my favorite tip and I use it every day. When pressing a block where 2 or more seams cross each other - put a small drop of water on the seam and press - the seams will lay flat everytime. I keep a small bowl near the ironing board and dip my index finger in the water - that is just the right amount of water to do the trick.

I lay a folded towel on my ironing board to press blocks after completing the block. The seams go flat.

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    Wow, I just found this cool link with tons of tips, enjoy!

http://www.blockcentral.com/tips.shtml
    Thank you. Some great tips here.

sandwich size ziplock bags are great for storing lots of things in, I use them to keep my quilt pieces organized when cutting out a new quilt, and you can write on the outside which piece it is , like A, B, or C. Also use old pill bottles to store old needles in. I keep a small basket with a grocerybag in it sitting on the end of my cutting table, and throw all the scraps and pieces too small to use into if for trash. The basket keeps it in place, and it doesn't blow away.

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    I was hemming my hubby bib overalls. I used the rotary cutter and mat to cut them off by 3 inches was so much faster than using scissors.

Also while hemming them on machine I broke 2 needles. I was trying to figure out what I could use to store the broken needles until I got them to the trash.

I found this plastic needle case and works great to store in the sewing machine drawer.

Enjoy!
    This is a quilters technique for hemming jeans that I think is great

Click here: Quilt, Knit, Run, Sew: A Tutorial - Hemming Jeans - a quilters technique

Darn I forget how to make it a link....can someone do it?

Margie

Think I got it lol

Margie

Thank YOU Margie!!!! Just what I need to do today, and I always worry when doing them, this idea looks perfect!

Okay, I'll submit an idea I use a lot

Iron a piece of freezer paper to the press board or ironing board before a project using fusible appliques or other glue type applications. It will protect your board and peel right off when finished.

If you get any "glue" on your iron, it is easy to get off with a new unused dryer sheet. Take a couple paper towels and place the dryer sheet at one end, with the iron hot press over the dryer sheet and then over onto the paper towels. The "stuff" in the dryer sheet will release the glue on the iron and as you pass the iron over the paper towels the iron becomes clean!

Since I have to take medication the rest of my life, I have a gazillion perscription bottles. I rinse them and then use them:

To store broken needles
    To carry needles and/or pins to class
    To sort and store buttons
    To carry bobbins to class
    To hold several pre-wound bobbins for quilting or class
    To hold or carry anything little that usually gets lost in that back
    corner of the drawers or boxes.

I will have to remember these tips! Great idea for the ironing board, thanks

Iron a piece of freezer paper to the press board or ironing board before a project using fusible appliques or other glue type applications. It will protect your board and peel right off when finished.

If you get any "glue" on your iron, it is easy to get off with a new unused dryer sheet. Take a couple paper towels and place the dryer sheet at one end, with the iron hot press over the dryer sheet and then over onto the paper towels. The "stuff" in the dryer sheet will release the glue on the iron and as you pass the iron over the paper towels the iron becomes clean![/quote]

Thanks so much for your help removing starch gunk on my iron. I think most of my problem was that I was spraying & then immediately trying to iron it dry without letting it soak in or dry completely. MESSY!

I store my old needles in prescription bottle it works great ! It will take a long while for it to fill up.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast