Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on a shoe-string budget >

Quilting on a shoe-string budget

Quilting on a shoe-string budget

Old 07-24-2011, 09:45 PM

Cheap sheets. One of my projects right now, I bought $3 twin sheets on sale. I got 6 coordinating colors for $18. That is plenty of fabric for a quilt or two. It won't be an heirloom, but it is still plenty of fun for me.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:03 AM

I use my husband's shirts and pants for many of my projects. Cotton shirting is wonderful -- I've even bought some off the bolt to add to the shirt stash! Tried to attach a photo but for some reason I can't do it today :-(

Here it is ....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231464[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-231458.jpe  
Old 07-25-2011, 04:06 AM

Keep an eye on Craigslist and Freecycle. I've given away fabric on Freecycle before, but gotten loads from Craigslist. I think my best haul was a woman doing a serious destash of high-quality yardage for $1 a yard (some were $2) - I brought home over 100 yards. I've also gotten bags of fabric for a song, once with an entire bag full of books and patterns thrown in for free!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:19 AM

I just check our local Freecycle and found 4 boxes and large bag of fabric free and must take all. Freecycle and Craigslist has been a good place for me to find free and cheap fabric along with thrift stores.
doglover
Old 07-25-2011, 04:30 AM

I posted on craigslist once that I was looking for some fabric for quilting. I had a very sweet lady just give me a box full :) I offered to pay her and told her that I wasn't expecting anything for free. But she wouldn't accept anything. Very sweet. So instead of looking for the deals on craigslist maybe post your ad saying that you are looking.

I also think that if you buy for just one project at a time it's easy manageable. Most people don't finish a quilt in a week so break up the purchases. Buy just the fabric for the top, you could even wait on border fabric, then batting and backing, finally binding.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:44 AM

Sign up for fabric shops online coupons ... saves a bundle. I went to Joann's yesterday and everything I bought was ON SALE!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:47 AM

I know things can get tough with money crunches in today's world, but, I feel that if I'm putting my time and hard work into a quilt, I want to make sure that it will last. You can find fabric at WalMart that is the same as in some quilt stores, but beware; it is not the same quality. I was told of a quilt made from WalMart fabric that didn't last a year. Also, just because fabric is listed as quilting fabric (ie Hancock and JoAnn's) doesn't mean it's the same quality as found in quilt shops. Quilt Shops have sales also, get on their mailing lists or newsletter list, and watch for those bargains.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:48 AM

I know things can get tough with money crunches in today's world, but, I feel that if I'm putting my time and hard work into a quilt, I want to make sure that it will last. You can find fabric at WalMart that is the same as in some quilt stores, but beware; it is not the same quality. I was told of a quilt made from WalMart fabric that didn't last a year. Also, just because fabric is listed as quilting fabric (ie Hancock and JoAnn's) doesn't mean it's the same quality as found in quilt shops. Quilt Shops have sales also, get on their mailing lists or newsletter list, and watch for those bargains.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 AM

I told my quilting friends that I am a "scrap" quilter and to save me their scraps. I get a lot of beautiful scraps from them in color coordinations. I seldom have to buy fabric.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:44 AM

I got a garbage bag of fabric off of my local Freecycle. I also check Craigslist and garage sales. Hubby always asks at garage sales if they have any sewing stuff - amazed at what they bring out when asked! When I'm in the neigborhood, I stop in at a local thrift shop - haven't scored any fabric there, but have gotten batting still in the bag for $1 or $2 at the most.