Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: quilting software

quilting software

Hi I am looking for quilting software.With this software I would like to be able to design quilt blocks, be able to know how to cut the blocks and know how much fabric to buy. I am using window 8 on a desktop. I would like free software if possible. I have been searching the internet and have not found anything that seems user friendly to me. I did down load a program called Quilt Assistant but I don't like to to much. I would like a program that I can use when I am hooked to internet and when I am not.
    What software do you use, is it user friendly and why did you choose it?
    Hello my name is Delilah.
    I like to quilt, Sew, garden and cook.
    I use a vintage Kenmore 15813450 8 stitch sewing machine.
    I call her "Little Girl".

The only software worth anything is EQ7. It does over estimate a bit on the yardage but I have never heard of any program tell you how to cut your blocks. EQ7 will tell you the dimensions to cut for each piece for a single block. What I like best about EQ7 is if I take a picture of a quilt, I usually can reproduce the pattern. It also makes enlarge or decreasing the size of a pattern I already own and is so easy to PP a block and get an accurate printout. I have owned a version of this program since 1995. I just drew this pattern today for a Vets homeless housing project that is occurring in the state of NY (thread is located under Requests):
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I also use EQ7. I had originally used Quilt Design Wizard which is kind of an introductory program with limited capabilities. I liked it but wanted the additional features of EQ7. To my mind it has been well worth the price.

Blog Entries
    EQ is worth every penny. there are limitations as listed above, but i would never give mine up. i have version 5 and have not found a need to upgrade.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

If you decide to purchase EQ (which I use and love), be sure to get the latest version. There was a huge improvement made between versions 5 and 6. 7 added even more features.

The free versions, if any available now, have been a waste of time for me. I recommended EQ7.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I have EQ5. Have used it for years. Never felt the need to update.
    Landscape quilts and needle turn applique favs.Antlers,Ok

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    The only software worth anything is EQ7. It does over estimate a bit on the yardage but I have never heard of any program tell you how to cut your blocks. EQ7 will tell you the dimensions to cut for each piece for a single block. What I like best about EQ7 is if I take a picture of a quilt, I usually can reproduce the pattern. It also makes enlarge or decreasing the size of a pattern I already own and is so easy to PP a block and get an accurate printout. I have owned a version of this program since 1995. I just drew this pattern today for a Vets homeless housing project that is occurring in the state of NY (thread is located under Requests):
    Really like this...I use EQ all the time..
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

EQ7 also has files for an Accuquilt Go
    http://doyoueq.com/project_download_...ilt-downloads/

I will try it.

Kind of basic, but do give layouts for some dies.

I just wish they would make some of the software backwards compatible as to files. I have EQ6 on an OFFLINE XP box. It's offline because it's XP and it is getting less support from some security companies. EQ6 doesn't require an online check every time you use it which is why it's on the offline box. 7 does require a license check.
    Last edited by Weezy Rider; 12-01-2015 at 07:31 AM.