Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Studio >

Quilting Studio

Quilting Studio

Old 11-24-2015, 11:06 AM

If I were the designer, I would mount all of the outlets at waist level. Getting too old to bend that far all of the time. Oh, and three more than you think you will need. A small fan for air flow, the best idea in my sewing room came from DH. He hung one of those hanging lamps from the seventies, right above my sewing machine, but above my head, so I can use what ever type of bulb I want in it depending what I need at the time. He also helped me lower my sewing chair since it is easier for me to see the bed of the machine better. Makes it easier for my damaged neck to tolerate the long hours I want to spend there. I just thought I would share the modifications I needed to be comfortable, to remind you to allow for whatever challenges you have as you design. I love my sewing room! Can't wait to see the end result!
Old 11-24-2015, 11:57 AM

My studio is also in the basement, but I do all my fabric things there - quilting, sewing, and embroidery. It is my "she cave", a huge 14x25. I had my concrete floors stained a warm brown color, and I love the look and easy care. Disadvantage is you have to leave the house one night while it is being done, but it is a permanent solution. I do not have a long arm, so I don't worry about standing a long time. If I did, I would install the anti-fatigue mats that industrial companies use. For lighting, I had a nice chat with the lighting guy the contractor sent over. I wanted lots of light and even light (no shadows). He ended up with large fluorescent lights and a type of bubble coverage to diffuse the light evenly. They are wonderful! I know I lose "natural light", but if I need a critical color match I walk upstairs to the windows. For electrical, I had them put in four outlet sets at about 4' above the floor and about every 4 feet. Lots of options for rearranging things.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:06 PM

One thing I will mention is that even with the best laid plans - you will find your studio will evolve a little as you use it. 2 years down the road from when I built mine, I -think- I have the ideal studio but I was still eyeing that Ikea catalog and formulating ideas. (That space under the sofa bed is just wasted space... )

I'm also in the basement. It's about half of the basement. The room was originally an "in-law" suite - so I have a full kitchen along part of one wall. This is invaluable. I don't have the headaches and other issues I used to have because I got absorbed in what I was doing and forgot to eat, or left something in the microwave for a day, or had to reheat it 3 times.

The floors were done with "Dri-core" and then laminate over top of it. We get cold in the winter and the basement does stay very cool most of the year - so I have 2 space heaters. One oil filled and one parabolic. There's a rug under my long arm so that my saddle stool doesn't roll away with me (anymore). I also humidify the room in the winter, which alleviates the need for thread treatments and eliminates thread breakage. This came about because where I am - it gets really dry in the winter and the furnace doesn't help that! When we tried to turn the whole house humidifer up, we ended up with windows that dripped water upstairs. I also find I have fewer sore throats and less fatigue problems down there as a result.

As much "storage" space as you can manage. I have pegboard on portions of 4 walls, I have Alex (Ikea) drawers under my Long Arm and under my main sewing machine and a couple of "armoires" that hold batting, fabric and quilt tops waiting to be quilted. My cutting/Do everything table is made from Expedit (Also Ikea) book cases connected together and on a base that we put wheels on then covered in MDF and (4) 24x36" cutting mats are attached to the top. My pressing "station" folds away against my cutting table if I need the room, or has 2 folding legs and a piano hinge to the cutting table to keep it in the usable position.

All of my tables are at standing height. My sewing desk and the cutting table are at 35 1/2". I found this the most flexible for me. Easiest on my back (disk problems) and if I want to sit, I have higher chairs with good foot rests. I regularly spend 10 hours a day down there between sewing, quilting and servicing.

My lights are from Ikea - they were clearing them out for $3 fixture. They each hold 2 halogen GU10 bulbs which we're slowly converting to LED (though I do love the warmth of the bulbs. I take after my cats that way, I guess). There are 12 fixtures in the whole room, with 2 of the fixtures in the "kitchen"/"Seating" area on a separate switch. My LA has florescents over it - (3) 4ft fixtures which are over and above the Ikea lights and also on a separate switch along with one set of the halogens.

The way the room is set up, I have room for my sewing, Long Arm, servicing sewing machines and 22 sewing machines on display and (mostly) convenient for use.

I think there was a thread here once where someone asked what we call our sewing areas. Mine? I call it the Ikea showroom. Though more accurately, I guess it would be the Ikea Hacker's showroom.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 11-24-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:02 PM

Design wall or areas to show off the quilts especially as you have no windows.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:39 PM

I have a floor outlet under my machine tables, which is wonderful. I have rocker switches on them, so I can turn the machines on with my toe. Another vote for the dedicated iron circuit. I have very short, cream carpet that shows every pin and thread. I ran tests on a sample beforehand, dropping pins and needles from various heights. The downside is that it always looks like it needs vacuuming, with everything dropped on it. I would have gone with my second choice, Marmoleum, if we had animals.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 11-25-2015, 04:30 PM

My area is in our basement althought I do have a large egress window but only have sunlight in the early morning from it. I had overhead fluorescent lights for drop ceilings with 4 bulbs in each (think they're t12) installed. I had two units over my cutting island, one over my sewing cabinet, and three over my long arm. I have a bar or kitchen area to the side with a 6 ft island that I have pendents over and lights in the ceiling between the back wall of cabinets and the island. I also had one installed over the sitting area so I can do hand work there while I watch TV. My outlets are 2ft off the floor. The support poles have been finished and I also have outlets in them. DH put in a subfloor over the concrete and I have carpet - I know I'm in the minority on that. Also, our basement has nine foot walls and it's a wood basement so there isn't a humidity problem. It's as warm as the upstairs. I also have a storage room with a door by the longarm. DH built two units with adjustable shelves out of the white laminate boards. All my material, books, ect, is in there. I can't tell you how bright my work area is but it's great. By planning it out, I don't have shadows to deal with.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jecreed View Post
I have an opportunity to design and furnish a brand new quilting studio. It will be in a basement with no windows. I need suggestions on what kind of lighting to install. Also what kind of flooring would you recommend. Any other "must haves" would be greatly appreciated. This is a once in a life time chance for me and I want to do it right!
I would add mirrors or old windows with the glass panes replaced by mirrors. I can not stand rooms with no windows. Adding the mirrors and some pictures with outdoor greenery plants that reflect in the mirrors might help give it space and reflect light. Have fun and enjoy! I have my own space and love it everyday.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:02 AM

I also have a new sewing space although not as large as yours. I didn't start from scratch; it had been a bedroom previously. But I do have two windows and plenty of natural light during the daytime. Night time is the challenge. I use compact fluorescent bulbs in 5000 or 6000 color temperature. I have seven bulbs between 60 and 75 equivalent watts each to use at night, but I find that it's still not enough. What I have decided to do is install track lighting all the way around the room. This way I can move the lights over each station in the exact amount I need. The type of bulb is really a personal choice. The key is brightness and near daylight color temperature. I personally need limited task lighting because of the brightness of the lights on my sewing machines. But if your machines don't have very bright light you may also need task lighting at each machine. Hope you find the perfect combination for you!

Last edited by Sheddah; 11-26-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:23 AM

Lots of great ideas here. I would add that a design wall is one of the most important things for me in my little quilting studio. Mine is positioned on the wall I see when I enter the room so I can see it from the hall at a distance as well as up close. That makes all the difference when I'm deciding whether or not everything is just right before I start sewing.
Have fun with your new room!
Old 11-27-2015, 05:45 PM

We just finished the attic for my DH for his train table and work area. We put down a vinyl flooring we got from Home Depot. It looks like wood and is laid down like wood. Easy to clean, lots of choices in colors and water proof.