Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Styles >

Quilting Styles

Quilting Styles

Old 03-03-2013, 06:48 PM

I gravitate to the modern although I am making a traditional for my sis that I like too. I am going to use some very modern fabrics to make a churn dash, just like someone else mentioned!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:18 AM

My tastes fall somewhere in the middle. I'm not fond of super tiny pieced blocks, and especially not quilts where every block is different (block of the month types) But I'm also not amazed by quilts that look more like a pieced back with lots of negative space. However, when the negative space is professionally quilted to add amazing texture (like Angela Walters or Judi Madsen) I love the look. It's just a little (a lot) beyond my FMQ skills at this point.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:23 AM

I love, love, love landscape quilts! My mind is challenged on how to bring the photo to life.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:36 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

I have a friend who had been trying to drag me into the quilt world for years, and I had resisted vigorously. While I appreciated the work and admired the quality, I just couldn't see myself making one. And then I discovered the Modern Quilt Guild, and it was all over! I now own three machines, have the significant part of a room dedicated to quilting, and I'm building a lovely stash. There is something about the simplicity of design and color that appeals to me, which is funny, because it's nothing like me.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:44 AM

I love all different kinds of quilts, whether or not I will ever make one of a particular style. Some I see and think I could never do that, then a couple years later find myself doing it. Others I see and think I want to do that but I would change xxxx and can't wait to get started. And every once in awhile I see one and actually do it like the original. LOL!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by mighty View Post
I like doing all different, Like to challenge myself.
Me too! I like to keep changing things up, keep it interesting-
Old 03-05-2013, 09:53 AM

I'm just glad that quilting is so "alive". I feel like I will never finish exploring all of the possibilities. So far most of my quilts have been more traditional, but I'm inching my way towards modern and definitely intend to explore there.

What's interesting to me is that I have a much wider taste in quilts than I do in most other things. I wear dark neutral colors almost exclusively. My house is in a lot of neutral/natural colors with lots of wood...but in quilts, I will layer up lime green, turquoise and bright orange and think it's beautiful! I guess all the neutral decor in my house means almost any color quilt will go! LOL
Old 03-05-2013, 10:02 AM

If you think the definition of *modern quilt* refers to simple piecing, you need to do a lot more peeking around.. take a look at Judy Dales, Katie Pasquini, Jinny Beyer, and dozens of other creative quilters....
Old 03-05-2013, 12:04 PM

Sheepshed: I thought the minimalist quilts were considered to be "modern". Will check out Judy Dales and Katie Pasquini. I am very familiar with Jinny Beyer and love her designs, not even mentioning her beautiful fabrics. Maybe what I really need is a definition of "modern quilts".
Old 03-05-2013, 12:37 PM

I like all styles but my 6 kids, all grown with families, all prefer the less busy modern patterns. Easy for me, they really use them too.