Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Styles >

Quilting Styles

Quilting Styles

Old 03-05-2013, 12:59 PM

I think this wonderful variety is what gets us hooked: you can never get bored because there are SO many fabrics, patterns, styles, books, new tools to try, etc. Years ago I tried appliqué several times with different teachers. None of it appealed to me so I gave up on that aspect of quilting. Now, several years later, I find myself TEACHING appliqué! How amazing is that? We have different chapters in our quilting lives, and there is so much to explore and learn. Never say never!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:40 PM

I used to make traditional quilts for our annual church quilt raffle. I found that the traditional appealed to the generation that already has many quilts or make their own. Next I did geometric quilts and they went over well with the baby boomer generation. Now I am geometric/modern and the men are a lot more interested in buying tickets. Seems that I have struck a happy medium.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

I go in spells. I like all scrappy then all modern, then all traditional, then easy, then applique, then pictorial. My moods switch a lot. I really don't care for the abstract art type quilts or the heavy thread painting look. And quilts with a lot of paint on them reminds me of the needlework designs that are half painted and half stitched.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
I do traditional and modern. Depends on what you are making it for.
Have not tried art quilting and am not that talented with art.
Just did a simple modern bed quilt with batiks and sent it out for quilting.
Usually make lap size and baby quilts and quilt them myself. But large quilts are to hard for me to quilt on my machine even though it has a 10 in throat.
Bought a cheap embroidery machine with a 4 in design area and am having a ball with it. Made a baby quilt with red work teddy bears.
I like traditional quilts especially Thimbleberries and some more primitive style with wool applique on them. I also have an inexpensive Brother sewing/embroidery machine that I have some some 4 x 4 redwork blocks and will put them together with some red 30's fabric.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:46 PM

I love all styles, but tend to lean more to traditional styles. As I improve my skills I hope to reach out of the box & try some other styles as well.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I go in spells. I like all scrappy then all modern, then all traditional, then easy, then applique, then pictorial. My moods switch a lot. I really don't care for the abstract art type quilts or the heavy thread painting look. And quilts with a lot of paint on them reminds me of the needlework designs that are half painted and half stitched.
One time I entered such a cross stitch project in the county fair. At least half of the picture was printed on the fabric. The rest was cross stitched in blocked off spots. I think I won a blue ribbon for it when it really didn't deserve NEARLY as many accolades as an enormous detailed Norman Rockwell design I did in which I think I got a second place ribbon.

It struck me as funny and made me wonder if the judges didn't realize that half of it was just a preprinted design.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:52 PM

I find the modern quilt movement to be very exciting, many of them don't fit into my home decorating style but I still love to look at them and learn from them. And I think it's fun to see a new wave of quilters contributing to quilting as a whole.