Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting thread >

quilting thread

quilting thread

Old 11-11-2011, 04:47 PM

Perhaps you are confused with needle sizes? If size 90 were available, it would be a very fine thread and perhaps not strong enough for quilting. The lower the number, the thicker the thread. Hand quilting thread should not be used in machines as the coating on the thread will interfere with the tension discs. Any thread size 12 - 50 would be suitable to pass through the needle to machine quilt with. Anything thicker than 12 would be best kept in the bobbin to do fancy bobbin work with.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:12 PM

The folks at my local quilt shop routinely use 90-100 weight silk threads for quilting. They generally piece with a 40 or 50 weight, but if you're doing very close quilting, the very fine silk threads are incredible! I personally don't do that close of quilting, but I've seen their work and it is incredible. I think Dianne Gaudynski uses very fine silk threads too, and her work is incredible. The quilting shows up instead of the quilting thread.

My personal preference (since I am not a brilliant quilter!) is 50 weight So Fine or 40 weight Aurifil on top and SuperBob bobbin threads.

Pam
Old 11-11-2011, 05:24 PM

NEVER use glazed thread in any machine, it is for hand quilting only. The glaze will do a number on the innards of your machine.

I mostly use Aurfil to piece, will also use it in the bobbin for quilting. On my HQ16 I like King Tut varigated on top and so fine in the bobbin, as my go to.