Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: quilting thread

Blog Entries

quilting thread

What size thread do you use to quilt with. I have heard of size 90 thread, do any of you use this?
    Barb

I like Americana the best.. It says 137m on it. 100% glazed cotton. and the price is great. I have tried Gutterman also and do not like it as well. I think it tangles alot. Oh.. I hand quilt. not machine.

hand or machine, I think they are different, machine 30wt-50wt depending on the look you want to achieve 30wt really stands out because it is thicker

I have used 50 wt on my DSM and when I rent a LA at my LQS. I have one that I'm going to try to do with a finer thread, maybe 70 wt to see how that looks.
    Bambi

I use superior thread 50 wt on my long arm. my regular sewing
    machines just use gutterman cotton.

I agree with Joset. Superior Tjread site has a big selection.

Blog Entries
    i've never heard of anyone quilting with a thread as thin/fine as 90 wt.
    i use 40-60 wt threads for machine quilting. sometimes a heavier thread (30wt) for hand quilting.
    i do know that sometimes people will use 100 wt silk thread for very tiny-fill in dense quilting-
    but i think the norm is between 40 & 60 wt.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    For top stitching by machine (mostly in the ditch for me) I use quilting thread for machines. I don't know or understand size threads, but I am willing to learn. Is there a tutorial for me anywhere. Will help give me more knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by barb55 View Post
    What size thread do you use to quilt with. I have heard of size 90 thread, do any of you use this?
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

I use a 40 or 50 weight on top. I've even used a 30 weight once--Sulky Blendables. In the bobbin, I prefer the 60 weight poly pre-wounds. The weight has something to do with how much the thread would weigh if stretched out over a mile, I think. I go buy how bulky it appears to my eyes. C&C All Purpose thread is supposedly a 50 weight but if you compare it to their 50 weight cotton machine quilting thread--it seems much thinner. I guess the cotton wrapped poly core weighs more than a triple cotton strand. And I'm not going to stretch it out over a mile to weight it--LOL.
    Beverly

I just got a couple of spools of #100 wt. silk kimono thread from Superior Threads. I really like it for piecing. It's like using a finely tuned instrument. Really nice. It was $11 or $12 a spool on a "try it" special (usually $17); but let me tell you, I wish all my thread was this silk stuff! Plus there is a lot of yards on that spool. For FMQ I use the #30 or #40 rayon or poly---however, if you want the quilting to really show, the cotton heavier threads and variegated ones are a good product.

I use a 40wt (cotton or polyester) in my longarm. Superior Threads website has an excellent thread tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
    For top stitching by machine (mostly in the ditch for me) I use quilting thread for machines. I don't know or understand size threads, but I am willing to learn. Is there a tutorial for me anywhere. Will help give me more knowledge.
    Have you checked out Superior Threads website?...

http://www.superiorthreads.com/page/330/

Blog Entries
    All I've used so far is Superior's So Fine #50 on top with Superior's Bottom Line #60 on bobbin. For now am staying with this combination because am just using STD and don't want thread visually jumping out at me. Have some Superior King Tut #40 waiting in the wings...that'll be when I want the thread to do some talking.

Blog Entries
    I want to thank you all a lot for all the input. I have used signature 40 wt and yli 40 wt. to quilt with and I would like to get something finner I want something that show the quilting but not the thread cause I'm not that good at FMQ, cause sometimes a stich is longer than the other and I don't want that to show. You all have set me stright. on what sige thread to use. I read some were that the 90wt. was good for quilting, but maybe I was wrong.
    Barb

Banned
    I use Isacord 40wt poly thread to FMQ or Gutterman machine quilting thread

I use either connecting thread 100% cotton or machine quilting cotton thread, I like the stitches better with the machine quilting thread. I use a DM.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Banned
    are u hand quilting or machine quilting. makes a difference

Blog Entries
    I use a lot of Superior 50 wt. For most purposes it's about perfect, and with Bottom Line in the bobbin, it's closer to perfect!!

Quote Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
    Here is a good article on the different kinds and sizes of threads.
    http://sewhappygeek.co.uk/index.php/...anding-thread/
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Quote Originally Posted by barb55 View Post
    A quilt would surely fall apart using 90 wt. thread! Piecing is typically done with 50 or 60 wt. and quilting with 30, 40, 50 or 60 depending on the look you want.

Perhaps you are confused with needle sizes? If size 90 were available, it would be a very fine thread and perhaps not strong enough for quilting. The lower the number, the thicker the thread. Hand quilting thread should not be used in machines as the coating on the thread will interfere with the tension discs. Any thread size 12 - 50 would be suitable to pass through the needle to machine quilt with. Anything thicker than 12 would be best kept in the bobbin to do fancy bobbin work with.

The folks at my local quilt shop routinely use 90-100 weight silk threads for quilting. They generally piece with a 40 or 50 weight, but if you're doing very close quilting, the very fine silk threads are incredible! I personally don't do that close of quilting, but I've seen their work and it is incredible. I think Dianne Gaudynski uses very fine silk threads too, and her work is incredible. The quilting shows up instead of the quilting thread.

My personal preference (since I am not a brilliant quilter!) is 50 weight So Fine or 40 weight Aurifil on top and SuperBob bobbin threads.

Pam

NEVER use glazed thread in any machine, it is for hand quilting only. The glaze will do a number on the innards of your machine.

I mostly use Aurfil to piece, will also use it in the bobbin for quilting. On my HQ16 I like King Tut varigated on top and so fine in the bobbin, as my go to.
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye