Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting tools I wish I could buy! >

Quilting tools I wish I could buy!

Quilting tools I wish I could buy!

Old 11-05-2015, 10:30 AM

And put the presser foot lever on the front or end of the machine so we don't have to reach under the throat!
Old 11-05-2015, 03:49 PM

I love my Baby Lock machines with the top loading bobbins.......what are your objections to these?

I want a table that raises and lowers on hydraulic pressure so it can be adjusted for different heights of quilters.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:09 PM

A drop in bobbin to the right of the needle with a clear cover, so l can see how much thread is left on it WHILE SEWING.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:16 PM

It's easier to clean a snarl out of the vertical bobbins, especially front loaders like my Pfaff. I had an Ellure and a snarl under the embroidery hoop was a pain. With the Pfaff, cut the snarl, move the hoop (has button), clean out underneath, move the hoop back and continue embroidering. (Pfaff 2170 embroidery unit is at the back of the machine, not the side) With the Ellure, it was cut the snarl, take the hoop off, clean out the bobbin and futz with it to get it in just so, then hope you could figure out where to continue embroidering.

I've been told the vertical bobbins have more oomph for heavier fabric. The high speed single stitch are side load.

The Singer featherweight that everyone seems to love is a side loader. Most of the older machines that others use are either front or side loaders. I had a Riccar, and did teach some fancy sewing on a Basic Babylock Mechanical.

The Pfaff has a light for the bobbin, and I can tell by the sound when the Juki is running out.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by stitch678 View Post
A drop in bobbin to the right of the needle with a clear cover, so l can see how much thread is left on it WHILE SEWING.
Yep me too. I hate the side entry bobbins in many older machines. I just got a red Janome Hello Kitty mechanical machine for my young GD. She us picking things up quickly but changing out a bobbin is still yricky and quite time consuming.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:17 PM

Thanks for this comment as I just ordered it from Amazon, it was only $2.99.
Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
I can help with the sewing needle. There is a nifty tool that you can put the needle in to hold it in place while you turn the screw. I use it with my serger.

I only commit to companies that have top loading bobbins.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:21 PM

I also have the Jr. Read Easy Ruler, sadly I only have the 6 inch one. I have other sizes with those neon green or yellow lines. I really don't care for them, but they seem to be the only ones I can find.
Originally Posted by Podunk Princess View Post
Rulers, I've got many kinds and shape........but here's one that I bought that I absolutely love and use every time I cut. (I saw it in use when watching one of Bonnie Hunter's quilt cam episodes on YouTube and had to have it.) It's a Jr. Read Easy Ruler by the Wonder Ruler folks. I have the 6-1/2 x 14 size. The numbers are larger and the increments are printed for every 1/4 inch, i.e., 1/4, 1/2, 3/4. Easy to use and with the large numbers it's great as we get older and it's harder to see those tiny little things. Here's a link to the page with all three of their Easy Read Rulers. Check out the other Wonder Rulers on their site as well.

http://www.wondercutruler.com/readeasy.html

(By the way, I'm not a sales rep or affiliated with this company in any way. Just wanted to let you know about a great product.)
Old 11-05-2015, 07:53 PM

I love your list. I hate rulers with an over kill of lines and changing a machine needle almost causes me to have a nervous breakdown.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I third it!! Would never ever own a machine with a drop in bobbin. If I ever need a new machine, top loading drop in bobbin would be a deal breaker for me.
I am with you guys, absolutely hate drop-in bobbins. Used a Viking for 30 years with the front load bobbin and loved that feature.

Rulers with yellow lines are extremely distracting.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
.....and changing a machine needle almost causes me to have a nervous breakdown.
Ahhhhh me to; and what's worse I can only use one eye at a time and depending on which eye I choose to use, my depth perception and object positioning can be waaaaaay off! The blessed needle hole can be up to 1/2" away from where I think it is!!!!!!
I'd love a little mirror that could be flipped out so I could see where the needle hole is when I am changing a needle. Sort of like those reversing mirrors you see attached to the outside of car back windows angled down so you can see where your rear bumper is before it hits anything!

Last edited by ruby2shoes; 11-06-2015 at 03:09 AM. Reason: spelling