Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: quilting using embroidery design

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    372
    Has anyone ever used an embroidery design like this for quilting?

    http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/Product...roductID=X6746

    This has me intrigued. I like hand quilting but don't always have the time. I'm not skilled at FMQ. I wonder how this would work/look.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    All the time!

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,165
    Good find - I will definitely have to give those a try :-)

  4. #4
    Junior Member gingerella's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    248
    This is what embroidery sewing machines do. I have a Janome and it can does this type of work beautifully. I have done whole quilts. A pain, I will add, because each design has to be hooped.

    But yes, it is pretty easy to learn to do once you've got the machine on which to do it.

  5. #5
    Super Member grma33's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Posts
    1,431
    I also have a Janome and do this all the time. I luv to quilt through all 3 layers. fast n done.
    Was having a little trouble in aprevious post was asking about stitches skipping and not tight enough but after talking to dealer said to use same top n bottom thread and not turn my tention knob to 2 like I do for dense em.
    Gale

  6. #6
    Super Member grma33's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Posts
    1,431
    Here is a picture of one I did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerella
    This is what embroidery sewing machines do. I have a Janome and it can does this type of work beautifully. I have done whole quilts. A pain, I will add, because each design has to be hooped.

    But yes, it is pretty easy to learn to do once you've got the machine on which to do it.
    I agree...a pain to hooping and unhooping! I may try quilting on pieces first, then put the quilt together!

  8. #8
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,761
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sarge1
    Has anyone ever used an embroidery design like this for quilting?

    http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/Product...roductID=X6746

    This has me intrigued. I like hand quilting but don't always have the time. I'm not skilled at FMQ. I wonder how this would work/look.
    Thanks
    Oh yah, only way I quilt. I have several different sets. I love that website, download lots from them. Watch for my postings, you will see my machine quilted quilts. I do my Quilts for Kids that way.

  9. #9
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,761
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by smtp5
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerella
    This is what embroidery sewing machines do. I have a Janome and it can does this type of work beautifully. I have done whole quilts. A pain, I will add, because each design has to be hooped.

    But yes, it is pretty easy to learn to do once you've got the machine on which to do it.
    I agree...a pain to hooping and unhooping! I may try quilting on pieces first, then put the quilt together!
    Not a pain at all, once you figure out what works for you and your machine. I can do it pretty fast.

  10. #10
    Senior Member BRenea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Seguin, TX
    Posts
    560
    Blog Entries
    1
    I've done it before, just don't really like hooping and unhooping when working with a larger quilt. I love that method for quilt-as-you-go, though!

  11. #11
    Senior Member Ginaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Richmond, KY
    Posts
    726
    I never hoop! I put a wash away stabilizer in the hoop, spray it with Sulky KK2000 (or whatever the number is!), stick it down, run a basting stitch around and then do my embroidery.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    372
    wow, thanks! I am definitely going to try it, and guess what just popped into my email today? A coupon code for emblibrary for 50% off. It's fate... I'm off to order a quilt design pack.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by grma33
    Here is a picture of one I did.
    Really really nice! I'm inspired.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    372
    Oh yah, only way I quilt. I have several different sets. I love that website, download lots from them. Watch for my postings, you will see my machine quilted quilts. I do my Quilts for Kids that way.[/quote]

    looked at your pictures of quilts for kids-very nice! love the way the quilting using embroidery looks.

  15. #15
    Senior Member retired2pa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kingman, AZ
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by sarge1
    Quote Originally Posted by grma33
    Here is a picture of one I did.
    Really really nice! I'm inspired.
    This is a picture of a block in a table runner I just finished for a friend using emblibrary design.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  16. #16
    Super Member grma33's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Posts
    1,431
    Ginakay, I hear people doing this as it sure takes time hooping.
    Have I got this right wash away in thebottom put top hoop on
    then a little adhesive spray then your quilt?Then you just keep moving quilt?
    I just can`t wrap my head around this.
    Pictures please.
    Thanks Gale

  17. #17
    Senior Member Ginaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Richmond, KY
    Posts
    726
    I do hoop my stabilizer tightly, spray with adhesive and then make sure what I want to embroider is marked correctly and centered the right way on top of the stabilizer. I have a basting stitch I use around the hoop and then do the embroidery.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    372
    [/quote]This is a picture of a block in a table runner I just finished for a friend using emblibrary design.[/quote]

    Love this!

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by retired2pa
    Quote Originally Posted by sarge1
    Quote Originally Posted by grma33
    Here is a picture of one I did.
    Really really nice! I'm inspired.
    This is a picture of a block in a table runner I just finished for a friend using emblibrary design.
    Love this!

  20. #20
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,761
    Blog Entries
    1
    Here is a fleece blanket I made for my grandson with flannel backing. I used adhesive backed stabilizer, pinned the quilt down with water soluble on the top and embroidered. The other is a table runner I did.

    a table runner I quilted on the emb. machine
    Name:  Attachment-102842.jpe
Views: 47
Size:  58.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #21
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Jeffersonville, In
    Posts
    2,600
    Embroidery library has a lot of neat quilt designs and I love them. I just finished quilt for my GD using them and she loves it. I haven't taken the time to be very good at FMQ so this is a good alternative for me.

  22. #22
    Junior Member gingerella's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy
    Embroidery library has a lot of neat quilt designs and I love them. I just finished quilt for my GD using them and she loves it. I haven't taken the time to be very good at FMQ so this is a good alternative for me.
    Embroidery Library??? Help. Never heard of. I'm in the same boat as you, not too good on free MQ. So the sewing machine has to do. For now.

  23. #23
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Jeffersonville, In
    Posts
    2,600
    www.emblibrary.com. Beautiful designs, great prices, lots of sales and free designs every month. I spend almost as much time there as I do here.

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,010
    yes you can, those were probably quilting motif designs before they were embroidery designs. I believe the sewing machine mis name these designs. They are quilting and not embroidery.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Quitman,Texas
    Posts
    557
    Oh my goodness, I checked out this sight and they had a bunch of freebees. I down loaded them and tomorrow I will have time to see how they turn out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.