Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Wisdom you have gained along your quilting journey... >

Quilting Wisdom you have gained along your quilting journey...

Quilting Wisdom you have gained along your quilting journey...

Old 01-15-2023, 09:42 AM

Love this thread! We come from different backgrounds, sometimes even different countries, but we share so much. Quilting brings us together, and I'm so happy to be part of the QB.

Although I've been sewing and quilting for many years, I buy "extra." I do make mistakes, change my mind, and don't want to have to stress out over it because I need more of a certain fabric.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:50 AM

Default Game Changer...thanks!

Originally Posted by Kwiltr View Post
Something I saw and then tried recently, if you are using a minky backing fabric. After you’ve finished quilting and BEFORE you trim the quilt, apply blue painters tape to the back side of the quilt covering the basting line around the outside of the quilt. Flip to the front and trim. The painters tape grabs all the little fluffy bits minky puts out and no mess!
Brilliant idea! I just cut a minky backing and it was navy. Lots of fuzz everywhere. I love the idea of painters tape on the backing before trimming. Good -bye fuzzies! Can't wait to give it a try!
Old 01-16-2023, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

My tips would be to always us a scant 1/4" seam for piecing quilts. Square up and trim each smaller unit as they are made, before sewing them into a bigger unit... then square up that bigger unit. Stay on track, sizewise, and the final result will be right.

If you fall out of love with the quilt, keep going and get it finished anyway. Quilts are totally improved by the quilting process and you may love it again after quilting.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:26 AM

I don’t handle frustration well. A poorly produced or operating item is a frustration. Don’t waste time or money on it. Life is too short for frustration,