Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts for charity >

Quilts for charity

Quilts for charity

Old 01-10-2013, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
I wonder if you can also deduct the postage for sending donation quilts?
aside from local deliveries, I have mailed lots and when I get my taxes done, they have always allowed for postage cost. Now, whether that is right or wrong, I don't know but if they audit me, I will say "He told me I could!!"
Old 01-10-2013, 07:15 AM

I've always been paranoid that these kinds of deductions would make me more likely to be audited. The only charitable donations I claim are checks I've written. I just feel more comfortable that I could quantitatively prove these if I ever needed to. (And I hope I don't ever need to!)
Old 01-10-2013, 10:09 AM

It would be great if you could. I just spent $68.97 to return 3 quilts that I LA quilted to American Hero Quilts in Washington state.

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
I wonder if you can also deduct the postage for sending donation quilts?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:57 AM

I make quilts for our Local Children's Hospital and Project Lineus, but never worry about the tax deduction as we never have enough deductions to file long form anymore. They have taken away so many of the things the common taxpayer could deduct that there is nothing left for most people but to take the short form deduction.

Our little quilt guild that makes quilts for people who lose their homes to fires uses the scraps to make quilts for the Childrens Hospital as well, as well as using the many donations we have received from various wonderful people on this list. Those donations have helped us greatly on the fire quilts (and we just now are getting rid of five quilts to various families) and appreciate the generosity of everyone who has helped us out.

We are always open for anything you want to get rid of, orphan blocks, scraps, xtra material, batting or whatever as it is all put to good use. We don't have any funds as our group is a small group of elderly ladies on fixed incomes that struggle to do what we do so all the donations have been most welcome believe me. Thank you to the donor again and I know this has varied from the tax deduction question we started on. To those of you fortunate to have enough deductions go for it. I always keep track of my donations just in case, but it never works out it seems. Happy quilting to all.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 AM

I have made charity quilts for years, but I've never taken a tax deduction for them.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Save the receipts for all supplies and be sure the receipts are itemized if you plan to use a quilt donation for a deduction. You can't use the wear of machine or power cost to make the quilt unless you file as a business. And the place you donate it to has to be profit making and declare it I think. This is the way it use to be.
don't you mean non-profit?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:40 PM

I make a charity quilt every year but not for tax purposes....just because I want to give back. I use up my scraps or fabrics from the communal fabric box our quilt group has. It's a donation box of fabrics from members and friends who need to get rid of some.