Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts donated to fundraisers - >

Quilts donated to fundraisers -

Quilts donated to fundraisers -

Old 07-22-2017, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I donated a quilt that sold on "silent auction" I told them to put $500 as the starting bid. Two people did get in a bidding war over it and it went for $1500.

It was a design to look like the stained glass windows of the chapel where I work, so a OOAK quilt.
Had to look it up - OOAK = One Of A Kind. I'm just not familiar with a lot of internet slang.

I think it's a good idea to be able to set a minimum price on an item before it is auctioned, and the auctioneer should start the bidding at that price. If the item doesn't sell, it can either go back to the person who donated it or it can be put up at the next auction.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:55 PM

I learned my lesson the hard way like many of you. Now when I drop a quilt or table runner off, I put a note on it with the starting bid. Silent auctions are popular here and can become bidding wars.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
I have donated quilts etc for various fundraisers over the years. Some things did go for less than the materials, others had bidding wars to win them. While I would agree raffles seem to do better than auctions IMO most people go to get a bargain as well as support the cause. I donate because I want to and don't equate the cost of materials with what the cause gets for my quilt(or whatever). Whatever they get is more than they had before. However if it bothers you then donate money rather than a quilt. I think the question you have to ask is would you donate the cost of your time and materials to this particular cause if you hadn't been asked to donate a quilt.
This is how I feel. Plus it seems like quilts are nice for a raffle prize - they seem to bring a "ooh aahh" dimension to the prize list.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:41 PM

If I have the opportunity to donate a quilt for a fundraiser I do it. Does not bother me if the quilt goes for less than I think it's worth. I figure if someone is going to pay something (anything) for a quilt, it's because they want it and at least it will be used.
I used to donate all of my quilts to organizations that distributed them, until I started seeing some quilts that others had made and donated, in some local thrift stores. It made me sad and discouraged. Don't get me wrong, I still donate some quilts that are not fundraisers, but it's not nearly what it used to be.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:01 AM

I know my donated quilts do not bring much money to the organizations to which they have been donated. The functions I have donated to sell tickets and people put their tickets in the jars that specify the prize they want to win. Then they draw the winner out of the jar. So in truth, someone can get my quilt for 10 $ or so. I have not donated this year, better to write the check. I don't mind a raffle, so the door is still open to that if something comes up!
Old 07-23-2017, 07:21 AM

When I have donated a qult to be auctioned, I include an appraisal for replacement/insurance value. Of the 4 quilts, I have donated, they have been sold for the replacement value or more. The appraisal gives the organization a starting place and is helpful to them because, it is likely, they do not know the value of a quilt.

Of course, I am talking about a "legit" auction where the people bidding have money and they are purchasing something through the auction as a donation. (not the local Neighborhood type auction).
Old 07-23-2017, 07:51 AM

Bear I'm sorry this happened. How discouraging and depressing

Many people have no idea how much materials cost and how much SKILLED labor goes into making a quilt and therefore cannot determine the value of one.

You could try contacting the organization and making sure that they are ready to use an expensive item like a quilt in their fundraising. Some have no experience using big ticket items.

Another option would be for you to sell the quilt yourself and then donate the money.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:19 AM

I made a lap quilt which I donated to the Senior Center which I attend and requested that it be raffled off. It made $75 and I was satisfied since I made the quilt from donated fabric. My time was donated. They probably could have made more on it if they were more aggressive in selling tickets. Most times, I feel a raffle brings in more monies since almost everyone will plunk down a dollar for a chance. I agree with making sports themed or high school colors quilts. Mostly everyone wants them.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

I donated a very nice appliqued quilt to a no kill shelter for auction. the manager 'forgot' to put it out. after the auction began, she put it out and put her tickets in, and of course won. the woman had the nerve to tell me this!!!! No more donations to them. as much as i'd love to, this is stealing in my opinion.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

I made one for an auction at work and the girl who got it Really loved it. For her financial situation she paid A Lot for it. For the quilt itself, it was not a lot. So I feel torn because it went to a good home. But I won't do that again.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-29-2017 at 02:35 PM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS