Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: Quilts instead of flowers at funeral home

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I've been sitting here a while and reading and thinking all along, this would be what I would like too. What a wonderful tribute. If it isn't a real common practice, I would make it one. Thanks everyone for sharing thru the last year.

I think it is wonderful to do this. I planned on making a small quilt that is to cover me in the casket when I die and be buried with it. I know this may sound strange, but this is what I want to do.

Banned
    When my FIL passed away, the USMC quilt I had made him was on display next to him.
    It was the first I had experienced something like that but thought it very unique and wonderful idea.
    Everyone recalled the day he received it (his 84th b-day) and how much he loved it! My MIL recently returned the quilt to me and it now hangs in my living room.

Blog Entries
    When my DH died lasT year, we draped his favorite quilt on the casket instead of flowers. Very impressive statement of how he supported my habit!

I attended a funeral where they had draped a quilt on the casket instead of the usual flowers. This lady had made quilts all her life, so it seemed very appropriate. Also, when a cousin of mine passed away there was a LARGE album with pictures of every quilt she had made. I always remember her perfect stitches

Caskets can be personalized with quilt inserts inside instead of the usual tufted satin linings. Bet it's expensive! I've loved reading all these replies- lots of great ideas. Thank You.

This is a great Idea for a celebration of their life.

When my best friend died, the family showed quilts Joan had made and a quilt that I had given her. DIL saw everyone admired the work and it was a beautiful tribute to her. Sadly, I could not attend the funeral, I live cross courntt, but my quilt was on display. Quilts were given to family members and DIL sent two quilts back that I had made for her. Told my family...no flowers please. Such a waste of money. Please display my quilts! {{{HUgs to Joan in heaven.}}}

I was moved to make Linus quilts when I went to an open casket funeral with the little five year old posed with a quilt in hand. The funeral program made mention of the Linus Project and the joy and comfort the quilt brought the child during life.

When a home economics teacher (you know how long ago that was when it was still a subject allowed in schools)died many students brought the wall quilts they made in her class to the church and displayed them.

What a great idea....So make a special quilt...and save it for when the need comes up....would that be the general idea

Blog Entries
    What a wonderful idea - !

Just like the military cover the coffin with the American flag, would it not be wonderful to have a beautiful handcrafted filled with love quilt over every quilters coffin.....

Before my hubby died a dear friend made a wall quilt for us with a lot of picturres with my hubby and his mini horses. I thought it was a wonderful tribute to him and we had it at the service and it now hangs on a wall in the family room.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7