Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilts instead of flowers

Blog Entries

Quilts instead of flowers

At Guild this morning, a member shared about the funeral of her great aunt in Kentucky. It seems that in their area, folks can buy quilts [commercially made] instead of flowers from the flower shop. Your name and a note are pinned to the quilt and the quilt is drawn through a metal circle making it look like a flower blossom. After the funeral, the quilts go to the family or are passed on to friends. I think that is a really nice idea.

And a bonus at the snack table: fresh raspberries with a chocolate chip placed in the hole.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

That sounds wonderful and creative. Wish I could see how they make a quilt look like flower blossom. Even the snacks sound yummy

local shops have been doing that with afghans around here for years. I have never seen it done with a quilt - a quilt would be extra special

Having a hard time visualizing
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-19-2018 at 09:33 AM. Reason: link requires sign up

Love that description of the quilt, and the raspberry sounds yummy!

That is really a great idea.

Sounds very nice to me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

That sounds wonderful. I'd love to see some of the quilts made to look like flowers
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I did an image search. Didn't find any that looked like flowers, just some with flowers. But look at the angels. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/413979...02237/?lp=true
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

It would be like pulling a napkin thru a napkin ring.....I think

Blog Entries
    The head of our Comfort Quilt Committee at our guild died on Wednesday night. She left a request that quilts be used to decorate for her memorial service and that those quilts be donated to the Linus Project (which we very heartily support in our group). So that's what we are doing.
    JudyG

This is just me speaking and I am aware others feel differently. My husband passed away six weeks ago. The last thing I would want is a quilt that would be a painful reminder to me. The flowers were lovely at the funeral and gravesite. The flowers I brought home wilted soon and it was a relief to home them in the trash because the constant reminder was very painful. I know others feel differently, so it might be a good idea to ask.

I love that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Genden View Post
    This is just me speaking and I am aware others feel differently. My husband passed away six weeks ago. The last thing I would want is a quilt that would be a painful reminder to me. The flowers were lovely at the funeral and gravesite. The flowers I brought home wilted soon and it was a relief to home them in the trash because the constant reminder was very painful. I know others feel differently, so it might be a good idea to ask.
    I'm sad for your loss. I'm sorry to read about you losing your husband. I imagine everything in your house is a painful reminder. I hope each day gets easier for you.

We took my father's funeral flowers and bouquets to a nursing home the next day. It brought so many smiles and warmed our hearts. He would have like that, I think. If we had received quilts, we would have likely done the same thing. I think it's so fitting that comfort offered be shared.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

You will notice I said the flowers I brought home. Most of the flowers were gifted to worthy places by family members who attended. The problem I would have had in rehoming a quilt is that it is one more task when there is so much I have had to do and the guilt I would have felt to rehome a quilt given by friends that was meant to be a remembrance of my husband. I felt a knife jab when you said you imagine everything in my house is a reminder with the implication that why would a quilt be any different. I don’t think I need to justify my feelings. I said up front that I know others feel differently. I only suggested it might be a good idea to ask if a quilt would be okay. I too have lost a father, but losing my husband has been a very different experience.

So sorry for your loss, Genden.

This reminds me of the thread on the pink ribbon for breast cancer. Some people liked it, a lot of people didn't. There's no right or wrong.

Thank you, Mitty.

My apologies, Genden. My comments were offered in sympathy and to share my own loss with you. They were not meant to cause more pain. Again, I'm sorry. Blessings.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Thank you, Teen. All is good.

My Mom recently passed and she was a beautiful quilter.. Dad and I decided to display some of her quilts at her viewing... Everyone was so pleased to see her work. Many of the folks that came to her viewing remarked about the quilts that she had made for them - so it was a very fitting remembrance of her. Here, locally people have gone away from the baskets of flowers - many sent wind chimes - forever lanterns, and painted pictures. That was so thoughtful because what does the family do with all the gorgeous flowers that are sent in remembrance. It is not that the flowers are not appreciated - but what to do with them afterward.... I say sending something that a family can keep is a great idea.