Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts instead of flowers >

Quilts instead of flowers

Quilts instead of flowers

Old 05-20-2018, 11:48 AM

The head of our Comfort Quilt Committee at our guild died on Wednesday night. She left a request that quilts be used to decorate for her memorial service and that those quilts be donated to the Linus Project (which we very heartily support in our group). So that's what we are doing.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:40 PM

This is just me speaking and I am aware others feel differently. My husband passed away six weeks ago. The last thing I would want is a quilt that would be a painful reminder to me. The flowers were lovely at the funeral and gravesite. The flowers I brought home wilted soon and it was a relief to home them in the trash because the constant reminder was very painful. I know others feel differently, so it might be a good idea to ask.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:22 AM

I love that idea.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
This is just me speaking and I am aware others feel differently. My husband passed away six weeks ago. The last thing I would want is a quilt that would be a painful reminder to me. The flowers were lovely at the funeral and gravesite. The flowers I brought home wilted soon and it was a relief to home them in the trash because the constant reminder was very painful. I know others feel differently, so it might be a good idea to ask.
I'm sad for your loss. I'm sorry to read about you losing your husband. I imagine everything in your house is a painful reminder. I hope each day gets easier for you.

We took my father's funeral flowers and bouquets to a nursing home the next day. It brought so many smiles and warmed our hearts. He would have like that, I think. If we had received quilts, we would have likely done the same thing. I think it's so fitting that comfort offered be shared.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:00 PM

You will notice I said the flowers I brought home. Most of the flowers were gifted to worthy places by family members who attended. The problem I would have had in rehoming a quilt is that it is one more task when there is so much I have had to do and the guilt I would have felt to rehome a quilt given by friends that was meant to be a remembrance of my husband. I felt a knife jab when you said you imagine everything in my house is a reminder with the implication that why would a quilt be any different. I don’t think I need to justify my feelings. I said up front that I know others feel differently. I only suggested it might be a good idea to ask if a quilt would be okay. I too have lost a father, but losing my husband has been a very different experience.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:21 AM

So sorry for your loss, Genden.

This reminds me of the thread on the pink ribbon for breast cancer. Some people liked it, a lot of people didn't. There's no right or wrong.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:34 AM

Thank you, Mitty.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:40 AM

My apologies, Genden. My comments were offered in sympathy and to share my own loss with you. They were not meant to cause more pain. Again, I'm sorry. Blessings.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:52 PM

Thank you, Teen. All is good.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:53 AM

My Mom recently passed and she was a beautiful quilter.. Dad and I decided to display some of her quilts at her viewing... Everyone was so pleased to see her work. Many of the folks that came to her viewing remarked about the quilts that she had made for them - so it was a very fitting remembrance of her. Here, locally people have gone away from the baskets of flowers - many sent wind chimes - forever lanterns, and painted pictures. That was so thoughtful because what does the family do with all the gorgeous flowers that are sent in remembrance. It is not that the flowers are not appreciated - but what to do with them afterward.... I say sending something that a family can keep is a great idea.