Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quilts for Kids - Have you changed up the pattern?

Sorry if I am a little dumb here, but where are you getting the squares (kits, blocks) from??

I just got my kit an hour ago I guess I need to do some measuring before I start. The material I got is so cute it is for a boy I can't wait to start it.

Betty
    Marianna, FL

Senior Member ORSunshineQuilter's Avatar
    No, you didn't dream it. There are special boxes at the post office that you can get and if you can fit it in the box and it is less than 70 pounds, you can ship anything in it. If you place the quilts in a plastic bag and use the vacuum cleaner to suck the air out, you should be able to get 2-3 quilts in a box for the same money it costs to send one. They will shake out and be fine when they reach their definition. You just have to make sure the box closes. Good luck! Check USPS.gov

My fabric was cut ok. Thanks for the heads up on mailing OSQ. I will send mine out tomarrow. Took the quilts to two different guild meetings so maybe they will get some more! Everyone seems real interested in helping.

Blog Entries
    Check out Quilts for Kids - it is sponsored by Downy (fab softener). Google Quilt for Kids - Downy. They send you the fabric, all cut, ready to go, less the batting. Get your batting, make the quilt and then send it back to Pennsylvania. They are darling quilts for little children that are in the hospitals. They have to be all machine done.

Good luck! Edie

http://www.downy.com/en-US/helping-kids.jspx

Just received my second kit. Cost me $9.69 to mail one, I will try a pack and mail place next time to see if it is cheaper! I'll let ya'll know.

I had also read that it is just as much to ship two as one... Maybe they were talking about there flat rate boxes from the post office?? That is the only thing I can think..

Blog Entries
    Here's the shipping info for Priority mail. Whatever you can fit in the box can ship for a flat rate. They have different sized boxes at different prices. There is also a priority option that isn't a flat rate. If you know the weight, you can gauge the price. There's a chart for that in the link below too. I'll probably just use the priority box this time.

http://www.usps.com/shipping/priorit...e=prioritymail

Quote Originally Posted by ERhausfrau
    I am finishing up my third one and they have all been four patch. I was hoping for a DNP or a Pinwheel. I tried it with the binding this time. I like the double binding and this is just a single. Won't do that again. I suppose the best bet is the pillowcase style! If any of you got the frog one the backside is adorable. I am now starting on the cowboy cows.

I do have to find a cheaper way of sending these quilts. I can't afford to send them as often as I would like to make them. Any suggestions??????
    Post Office charges $7.02 to mail one! I thought I had read somewhere that you could mail in two for the same price as one! Did I dream that?

I am having fun with these, but it is getting hard to send them at that price.

Edie
    Edie:
    No, you did not imagine "send 2 for the price of one" postage. It's written in the info. I'm wondering if they'll ship both for the price of one if you buy the postage boxes that indicate you pay the price of the box and whatever and however heavy the items you can stuff IN THE BOX can be shipped in that box...1 pound to 100 pounds so long as it FITS in the size box you buy??? Just a thought.

Another epiphany...
    I'm wondering if you might have a Q for K point person right close to where you live? Somewhere on their website it gives the names and addresses of the different administrators of the program in each state. Maybe if you have a point person close to your home you'd be able to drop the quilts off there rather than mail them. I see where you live in the Cities, Minn....the point person may be a tank of gas to get to her/him so mailing would be less expensive but maybe that person lives 4 blocks from you too. Never know???

I'm working on my second. I have the just finished the same one as the picture shown just above this post...bugs, butterflies and now I'm working on one from my stash and from fabric I bought at the Quilt Fair yesterday. They are very cute, simple, fast to make quilts, fun quilts.

Good luck and thank you for making the quilts.

If you get the flat rate box, you can stuff it full as you can for that rate. My post office used to have those tuffy bags, and I'm sure one quilt would fit in one of those.
    my quilt is about 11x13x2 fold, which would fit in one of the tuffy bags.

You could probably go to the post office with you quilt/quilts not packaged and ask what would be the cheapest way to send it.

ragann, i've been admiring the house in your avatar, it's so beautiful, i love the front porch, is that your house? it's just gorgeous.
    donna

I don't know if any of you have a seal a meal but if you put the quilts into a seal a meal bag and suck out all of the air you will be amazed at how much you can get into a box.

Oh and my kit was cut well.

Quote Originally Posted by dojo36
    ragann, i've been admiring the house in your avatar, it's so beautiful, i love the front porch, is that your house? it's just gorgeous.
    donna

Yes, it is my house and, I, too love the porch. It goes around three sides! A lot to sweep but well worth it! Thank you for the compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragann63
    donna

Yes, it is my house and, I, too love the porch. It goes around three sides! A lot to sweep but well worth it! Thank you for the compliment.
    I, too, have drooled and admired your beautiful home. Bet sitting on that deck rocking to the sunset is a magnificent end to your days. Love it.

Thank you for all of the wonderful comments! I moved a lot as a child and young adult and I wanted a house that my children would know as "home." We have been here for 16 years and I don't think I would trade it for much. So many incredible memories! I still walk around and am amazed that it is mine!

I have lived in my house (which looks nothing like yours) for 45 years so i know what u mean by memories all around u and can't believe it's mine as i was raised in a family of 7 kids by a mean father in a SHACK with outdoor john, no running hot water and an aluminum #2 wash tub. so i'll take a pic of my house and put it in my avatar. I've really felt blessed ever since i graduated from high school and got away from an abusive father. of course i'm now 72 - be 73 the 5th of next month and thoroughly enjoying life and quilting of course and all the wonderful people on this site.
    donna

Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat
    I received four packages of the Q for K quilts. All are the four patch, one large patch design. With the kits you received did you maybe sew it together differently than the design? leave some strips some patch? I made one it is very cute (pic to be added) and was thinking it would be fun to mix it up a bit.. but how?? Also, my first kit was cut "wonky". The four patches made 6 1/4 not 6 1/2 like the big patches so after I stupidly sewed the rows together amazingly.. the corners did not line up so I had to take it all apart and start over. (lessons learned about measuring).. secondly the border one of the strips had a huge v cut out of it, lucky for me it was on the part I had running over (part to cut) but didnt notice it until I cut it.. so with your kits. Measure everything and also.. check the squares and strips before you sew. I will be fine toothing the new kits.
    I did change up the pattern, instead of cutting the two strips and making squares, I left the strips, flipping colors back and forth, kinda like warm wishes. it is cute, as soon as I get it quilted, I will post a pic. I machine quilted it once, but it bunched up, so I am ribbitting!!!!!

Blog Entries
    What is ribbitting? I don't like to machine quilt that much. I do enjoy the hand quilting, but now maybe there is something new I can learn. Thanks! Edie

I have lived in my house (which looks nothing like yours) for 45 years so i know what u mean by memories all around u and can't believe it's mine as i was raised in a family of 7 kids by a mean father in a SHACK with outdoor john, no running hot water and an aluminum #2 wash tub. so i'll take a pic of my house and put it in my avatar. I've really felt blessed ever since i graduated from high school and got away from an abusive father. of course i'm now 72 - be 73 the 5th of next month and thoroughly enjoying life and quilting of course and all the wonderful people on this site.
    donna
    I am so sorry to hear of your childhood. That makes me sad (and angry!) I am glad to hear you broke the cycle, found and provided a loving home. Happy Birthday!! and, wishes for many more.

Blog Entries
    To Dojo36

Sounds to me like you made a good glass of lemonade out of those lemons. Be so proud!!!!!!

I have been having lemons for the past 25 years with illness with my husband, first hepatitis, then leukemia, then Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma (his 5 years is up in March - YAY! So maybe, if nothing else pops up, I can start lemonade, eh? He also is a "36" - will be 74 in January, I'll hit 72 in September. My sewing and quilting has been my lifeline. I talk about my little corner where I have my computer, and all my fabric and stuff and that is my little oasis! We need that oasis now and again! My oasis is being disrupted today. We are having our carpet cleaned at 8:00 this morning. It is already 5 after 6 AM and I have some squares that have to be pinned and as soon as they leave and I can get my stuff back where it belongs, I'll be back in my little cubbyhole. I should really leave it put away with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up,. but our tree goes right where my sewing machine goes. So, I'll just keep on sewing until the 18th of December and then it comes down the day after my husband's birthday - 1-3! Then I'll put my stash and machine and table right back where it belongs!

You have a real happy birthday! Go buy some fat quarters for yourself. JoAnn's has their Friday sale starting at 6:00 AM. I go grocery shopping on Friday's at 6:00 anyhow and JoAnn's is about ---------------------------that far away from the grocery store, so I can hop,skip and jump from one to the other. I want to get a new sewing lamp they have for 63% off, plus another 20% off. It is regularly $54.99, on sale for $19.99 and then with 20% more off, it'll bring it down to $15.00. I can handle that! And, you, have a great day! Happy Birthday. Edie

Quote Originally Posted by ERhausfrau
    What is ribbitting? I don't like to machine quilt that much. I do enjoy the hand quilting, but now maybe there is something new I can learn. Thanks! Edie
    Using seam ripper, alot!!!! entire quilt had to be ripped, and I hate to rip apart what I sew, but I didn't realize as I was sewing the bunching going on.

Ragann and ERhausfrau, thank you for the well wishes. and ER i sure hope ur husband continues to stay well. and yes i'm sure you've made lots of lemonade in your life, i haven't had to make any for a long time now, have a wonderful beautiful daughter and 2 grandsons and one great grandson so i'm very blessed and happy. Yall have a Happy Thanksgiving.
    donna

My kit arrived quickly....sewed up pattern in about 1 hour with their big blocks. I was luck and mine were cut true. I am not a machine quiilter sew there is my challenge..any tips to offer??
    Are you going to also make another to send back with this one???????
    I hope to do from my scraps but after holidays.
    Great project to share with others this time of year as we want to give out.

I have the same challenge as I don't machine quilter either. I thought I would practice with my walking foot and do straight lines. If you come up with anything else please let me know.

Betty
    FL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2